Default Anyone familiar with tripping in Mexico?

I'm currently in the very early planning stages of a road trip that will hopefully take me through much of Mexico next summer. I have a good amount of tripping experience throughout the US and Canada, but I have never driven in Mexico before. My general philosophy is to avoid interstates and toll roads, preferring the old twisties and local colour you get off the beaten path.

Does anyone have any Mexican experience? Were there any particularly enjoyable drives/hikes/climbs/local scenes that you encountered? I'm open to anything and everything at this point!

Default A few resources

Quebec Gen and Bob have accumulated the most in-Mexico travel of the Moderator pool in recent years. Here is one of their field reports. You might also search by Gen's name or by the keyword Mexico for more recent reports and tips.

Mark

Perfect -- this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! I searched with some Mexico-related keywords but found that most of the results pertained to New Mexico.

I've got some reading to do!

Default Toll roads may be worth it in Mexico

I have a few friends who live in Mexico 6 months of the year. They all are big into roadtrips and love twisty-bits in the US. However, in Mexico, they drive the toll roads as much as possible because of the condition of alternate roads.

Also, watch out for the speed bumps. I'm told that some of these speed bumps are high enough that it can feel like you're hitting a brick wall. I'm under the impression these are not a problem on toll roads either but I'm not positive about that.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Tope ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Judy View Post
    I have a few friends who live in Mexico 6 months of the year. They all are big into roadtrips and love twisty-bits in the US. However, in Mexico, they drive the toll roads as much as possible because of the condition of alternate roads.

Also, watch out for the speed bumps. I'm told that some of these speed bumps are high enough that it can feel like you're hitting a brick wall. I'm under the impression these are not a problem on toll roads either but I'm not positive about that.
    You bet! Speed bumps can badly damage your suspension, so watch out for those. Topes are also a perfect excuse for locals to sell you stuff en route to your destination : pots and pans (since very few hotel provide them:), crafts, fruit, drinks, you-name-it.

Does anyone have any Mexican experience? Were there any particularly enjoyable drives/hikes/climbs/local scenes that you encountered? I'm open to anything and everything at this point!
    If you need any specific information, feel free to PM me or ask your questions out here. The most exciting driving experiences I had in Mexico were in Guaymas and Hermosillo and on a particular mountain road between Santa Ana and Naco. Actually, "scary" might be more accurate to describe that mountain road, but we survived:).

Guaymas seemed like a great city to explore. We walked around the downtown area for a while, had a chicken dinner, and that's about it. We hardly scratched the surface. I wish I could have spent more time out there. Most border towns are to be avoided in my experience. As thrilling as they may seem at first, they are also a perfect spot for tourist-robbers, drug smugglers, prostitutes and so on. BTW, catholicism is omnipresent as you head south, especially in small towns. You'll encounter hundreds of tiny shrines along the road. Beware of stray dogs, as some of them may have rabbies or be agressive.