Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default RV Road trip to every state

Hi,

Next year a friend and me are planning a road trip starting on the east coast (near boston if possible).

We are starting round june and have until december. The aim is to buy a used RV and then visit every state. We have a rough route planned and have estimated the distance to be around 16000 -17000 miles. We aim to finish the trip in las vegas.

What we would like to know is..

1, Advise on buying a used RV, (class A) - any particular types worth looking for etc..

2, A rough gas budget for the trip ( we have allowed $2500 each with 2 people travelling) any thoughts?

3, Advice on insurance etc as we are travelling from the UK and are unsure how to go about getting insured.

4, Any ideas for our route also

Hope you can help

Thanks

Cory

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I'd say you're at least $2000 short on your fuel budget. RVs do not achieve spectacular fuel mileage - I based my calculations on your expected mileage and 9 miles per gallon, and from what I've read and heard, that would be phenomenal mileage for a class A.

Here's a succinct statement about the purchasing process:

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael
    I'd recommend contacting the DMV of the state where you are to find out what paperwork you might need, and what tips they may have for your specific situation, I'd contact an insurance agent so you get an idea of what you'll have to pay -not having a US driving records will likely result in a pretty high rate-, and I'd remember that this won't be a cheap process. Between the taxes, license, insurance, money for pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic, money for repairs and maintenance while you're on the road, and the amount you'll likely lose in resale, the process is a lot more expensive than just buying a car, putting gas in it, and thinking you'll get near the same amount of money when you sell the car at the end of your trip.
    There certainly is nothing to stop you from starting near Boston if that is what you want to do. What do you have for a route as of this time? You say that you want to visit every state. I imagine with the mileage you listed that means the 48 continental United States. What do you have for an overall budget? Have you been on any long road trips before (not necessarily half-year trips)?
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 10-09-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Key word in fuel budget statement missing!

Thanks for the reply

Gas budget - we figured out the same sort of way by reading up on the fuel consumption of RVs from around 1990 and newer.. we have $5000 in total for fuel.

Buying an RV - since I posted this thread I have read other topics on the forum and have found that it may be quite hard to get insurance and register an RV as a non-US resident. We are now looking into a buy/buy-back plan which seems much better. We arent expecting to get back anywhere near what we pay for the RV at the end, so anything is a bonus really..

One site we found was 'transatlantic RV' where they sort the insurance and other paperwork out before you arrive so you are basically ready to go when you get there. There are other sites but some are more limited than others. Are there any reccomended places for buy/buy-back ...some wont allow under 25's by the look of things (we are both 23)

We have been on long trips but never a proper road trip, just as a purpose to get somewhere..where this trip the drive is basically what were going for

The budget we have for 2 people, which includes RV(and related costs), Fuel, and General spending is $26000 ($13000 per person)

The route isnt very direct but we want to see a much as we can. I will draw a rough line on the map later when I am at home and post it here. it will take a lot more planning so that we see all we want - will probably do it in sections and pick out each place we want to visit on each leg of the journey.

Thanks for the help

Default A great adventure awaits you!

Six months and the amount of money you're budgeting should give you a great trip. Of course, the variable here depends on how much the RV ends up costing you to purchase. There is a possibility that the purchase price might make your budget tight. After you find out more about what your RV expenses are, let us know so we can help you determine whether or not the money you have remaining for this trip is going to work out for you.

I'm unfamiliar with Transatlantic RV so I can't vouch for them. I know we get a lot of questions about buy/buy-back programs so we would really appreciate you letting us know about your experience with them after you get back from your trip.

If you go here and click on "Our Journey" you'll see one map that will give you some ideas on how to structure your route. Of course, you will want to tweak this to include sights you want to see.

What can we help you with? If you want to give us an idea of the types of places you'd like to see and things you'd like to do, we can give you recommendations better suited to your preferences.

I encourage you to poke around the forums to get ideas from other travelers. Also, don't miss the "Site Directory" and "Roadtrip Planning" sections as they have a wealth of information. It's so vast that I haven't even visited every link myself. Good stuff to be found in there!

Happy planning and I look forward to helping you plan this epic adventure!
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 10-09-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added further comment

Thanks for the reply

Just had a quote from camperusa.info

About $9500 plus $220 insurance per month for an RV with re-purchase. Only problem is it seems we can only pick up in california.

Still waiting for a quote from transatlantic-rv.com
    Does anybody know of any other buy/buy back companies?

I have seen the quest-4 route, gives us an idea how it can be done. Our idea is to start east coast & finish west coast whilst visiting every state, so that makes the route a bit longer over all..I will get round to drawing our rough route out a some point

Basically we will want the route to cover national parks, as well as major cities and attractions...and the actual drives need to have good sights along the way rather than the quickest / most direct route..

*edit* What we will probably do is plan it in sections from the start point, to try and see what we will do each day...some days we will drive further than others for example. this way we can get an exact idea of how far we will go, and how many days we will have to stop in each place.

Also, we have never done the RV thing really, we want to visit places such as new york but wonder where to stay and get into the city..
    Last edited by cory; 10-13-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Default Lots of route options to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    Thanks for the reply

Just had a quote from camperusa.info

About $9500 plus $220 insurance per month for an RV with re-purchase. Only problem is it seems we can only pick up in california.

Still waiting for a quote from transatlantic-rv.com
    Does anybody know of any other buy/buy back companies?
    This post might have some helpful information for you.

I have seen the quest-4 route, gives us an idea how it can be done. Our idea is to start east coast & finish west coast whilst visiting every state, so that makes the route a bit longer over all..I will get round to drawing our rough route out a some point

Basically we will want the route to cover national parks, as well as major cities and attractions...and the actual drives need to have good sights along the way rather than the quickest / most direct route..
    While there are certainly some interstates/state highways that are more scenic than others, I think most of us here believe there are no boring roads. All have good sights to see. You will find some of the best roads are National Scenic Byways. If you click on a state on the map, be aware that there are usually far more routes than the stars on the map would indicate as there are not stars for other scenic byways that are listed within the individual state listings. These may be either state scenic byways or routes that are very popular but have no designation. So be sure to check out each state to see if these byways fit into your routes.

*edit* What we will probably do is plan it in sections from the start point, to try and see what we will do each day...some days we will drive further than others for example. this way we can get an exact idea of how far we will go, and how many days we will have to stop in each place.

Also, we have never done the RV thing really, we want to visit places such as new york but wonder where to stay and get into the city..
    If you've never done RV travel, I would encourage you to rent one for a short trip close to home before your big US trip. You might find that you don't enjoy this type of travel. At almost $11,000 (and this does not include the fuel and camping fees), you could rent a car and stay in hotels and/or tent camp. I don't want to confuse the issue but I would really hate for you to decide this style of travel isn't for you while you're in the middle of your trip.

There are camping options in NYC area, but they are limited. I googled "new york city rv parks" and got a short list. This appears to be a good option but I have no personal experience with them. You might do a google yourself and check out all the options. You can also stay in New Jersey and take the train into the city.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 10-14-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote format.

This post might have some helpful information for you.
    Good link, thanks. Checked out adventures on wheels and emailed for a quote

If you've never done RV travel, I would encourage you to rent one for a short trip close to home before your big US trip. You might find that you don't enjoy this type of travel. At almost $11,000 (and this does not include the fuel and camping fees), you could rent a car and stay in hotels and/or tent camp. I don't want to confuse the issue but I would really hate for you to decide this style of travel isn't for you while you're in the middle of your trip.
    Yeah definately understand it would be best to try it out. But the main thing thats appealing to us is the style of travel with an RV. We will be arriving in the US after a couple of months around asia, australia and NZ so it will seem luxury im comparrison.
    Doing quite a lot of reading on other peoples trips and stuff so getting a good idea of what to expect. Plus we cant really afford even a small trip which is a shame, otherwise we would have tried it.

We are considering cutting the trip to 5 months, to allow a bit more daily spending. Is this going to be a comfortable amount of time to finish the trip?

As for the route, we'd really appreciate any help - Basically starting Boston/New York & finishing Las Vegas whilst visiting every state on the way.

There are camping options in NYC area, but they are limited. I googled "new york city rv parks" and got a short list. This appears to be a good option but I have no personal experience with them. You might do a google yourself and check out all the options. You can also stay in New Jersey and take the train into the city.
    Hadnt seen that one, but looks a good option. We now have an idea of what we can do in places like new york. Also found a 'free camp grounds' website free campgrounds some are well worth stearign clear but a lot seem really decent. Not sure if others here use this site but worth a look.

One other site I found was this one here

Apparently in a few states a private mail box address can be used to register/ insure a vehicle - so I wonder if this is an option? (Although a buy/buy back may be more reliable as they do all the checks etc)

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 10-15-2008 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Preferred link format

Default What an adventure!

Hi Cory,

Just reading through your thread and you have a lot to look forward too once you have done the "work".

I see you are planning to visit lots of National parks along the way so you may find there website useful.
    The parks offer good value campsites and are in great surroundings and many offer free shuttle bus services, so if you spend a couple of nights in one place there is no need to "pack up camp" to get around. However the busiest parks get booked up long in advance so if you want to keep your schedule open to change it may not be an option.

You will see in the left hand of the page in the link that they offer an annual pass to enter all parks for a one off payment. Some parks can cost $25 to get in and the pass is $80 [at the moment] so it won't take long to "balance the books." You can buy the pass from the entrance of the first park you visit.

The R.V's are very well equipped in the States and have everything you could want and is my favourite way to travel. I can see the appeal of an 'A' class motorhome, but with just the 2 of you, have you considered a smaller 'C' class as it may help with your overall budget and be a little more nimble around the city's/ parking e.t.c.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Thanks dave,

The annual pass sounds good, we hadnt really looked into that yet, but $80 is better than I expected.

After finding that we will have to either rent or buy/buy back the RV, the class C is what we are looking at now. Like you say, its cheaper and better to handle round the cities etc

How much would we expect to pay to camp at the parks?

Ive read on the free campgrounds site and found quite a few cheap / free grounds that are (according to the people reviewing them) just as good as the more expensive ones

Default N.P. sites

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    Thanks dave,

How much would we expect to pay to camp at the parks?
    We found that $18 - $20 per night was average and most had a table and bench set with a fire ring outside. If you wanted to stay a couple of nights or more then it could off set some cost of free camping by not having to use fuel driving in and out of the park each day. A lot of them also have dump stations where you can fill up your water tanks and empty your waste before you leave, setting you up for places that won't have those facilities.