1. Default New England trip for the foliage season

A few friends and us want to go on a 3-days/2-nights trip to the New England area to take in the fall foliage and to appreciate the beauty of the natures splendor. We'll start from northern NJ and heads north. We'll appreciate if anyone here can provide us with some tips or pointers as none of us ever done this before.

1. Is end of Oct to beginning of Nov a good time to go?

2. What states/towns should we cover considering our limited time. (We're
    not going to do any hiking or climbing due to time constraint) We would
    prefer the towns that will give you the full New England taste.
    In addition, any recommendations for good decent motels (<$100/night)
    and shouldn't-be-missed food places

3. What's the best possible routes/highways to take

TIA,

Pete

Default The 'Southeast' Shore

1) That depends a bit on where you're going. In the mountains of northern New England, that would be too late, peak is occurring right about now, in fact. Along the warmer southern coast, that might be just the right time frame.

2) Given your starting point and the time you have available, I think you'd be best served by heading east along the northern shore of Long Island sound with Cape Cod as a destination. This way you could wander through some typical coastal towns like New London and Mystic once you get past New Haven, sample the state parks along Block Island Sound in Rhode Island, visit Newport, and then see Cape Cod. I'd consider this to be a good 'scouting' trip to just see what appeals to you, taking mental notes for later in-depth trips, rather than trending to hit a bunch of specific places. One place I will recommend if you're looking for lobster the way it was meant to be served is Abbott's in Noank outside Mystic, but you'll have to ask directions - perhaps more than once.

3) No such thing. Make sure you have a good map and just wander a bunch of roads.

AZBuck

Default Ask locals

Wandering is great fun and might bring you to the right places, but I suggest you also talk to local people whether they be at the visitor center, chamber of commerce, a waitress, a clerk, and it's possible they will point you in the right direction.

Default Abbott's

Here in central MA the peak has yet to hit. In fact, it's a lot spottier this year than I thought it would be, with many trees still fully green. However, this changes literally over night. The tree in the front yard was full green on Friday and Saturday it...wasn't.

Pete - what do you mean by "New England taste"? If you're thinking postcard New England, then my vote would be pretty much anywhere in Vermont. at this time (early October). Buck's suggestions will serve you nicely as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    One place I will recommend if you're looking for lobster the way it was meant to be served is Abbott's in Noank outside Mystic, but you'll have to ask directions - perhaps more than once.
    Buck - Abbott's is closed after Columbus Day.

Default Now That's Just a Downright Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim:

Abbott's is closed after Columbus Day.
    I still recommend a stop in Mystic. The only other waterfront town In my opinion) that would give you a better 'downtown' stroll with views of ships and such is Portsmouth, NH - and that's a bit too far for what you have in mind. If you have the time, Mystic Seaport (if open!) is a great place to see how it used to be in New England seaport towns.

AZBuck

Default Timing Fall Road Trips

You might check with The Foliage network for the right time to hit "peak" viewing. They have a group of volunteers that post color & leaf drop reports at least weekly for the Northeast, Southeast & Midwest. They also have archived reports from a few years ago so that you can try to plan ahead.