1. Default Trip San francisco - Los Angeles - Las Vegas

I'm planning on a 15 day trip, including my wife two kids and parents, on which we want to visit at a minimum San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Yosemite, death Valley and tour on highway 1 between SF and LA. Can someone suggest me whether this trip should best be made clockwise or counterclockwise and where to start best? We are planning this trip in July, is the weather doable then? Alternatively we could do this trip in April.

Jan (Belgium)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We've got several hundred threads discussing this basic trip, so I'd first suggest looking around. The threads found here would be a good starting point for lots of information about traveling in this area.

As far as your specific questions go, there's no big difference in the direction you go. The only thing that would stand out is if you travel south from SF to LA, you'll be on the ocean side of the Pacific Coast highway, which will make it a little easier to stop at the pull outs along the way.

The weather will be fine in July, although, it is peak travel season in the US, so you'll have lots of company. If you travel in April, Tioga Pass would be closed, so you'd miss out on a good chunk of Yosemite National Park.

South of England.

Default Great choice

Hi there,

It is a very popular road trip choice, and rightly so. The area is amazing with wonderful scenery and so much diversity.

I don't think there's a "best place" to start as such if you are doing a full loop, but you could also consider flying into Vegas and out of L/A for example, depending on your itinerary. There are many other amazing parks in the area such as, Grand canyon, Zion, Bryce canyon and the Sequioas to name some of the popular ones.

When you have a rough itinerary put together you are welcome to share it with us and maybe we can help "fine tune" it with you.

The Netherlands

Carrental tends to be cheapest in Las Vegas but no direct flights from Belgium. Direct flights are to LA and SF though.