1. Default East Coast Road Trip

Hello All,

Me and three of my friends are planning a trip to the East Coast. Starting from New York to Miami. We want to visit the folowing;

New York
    Philadelphia
    Washington DC
    Charlotte
    Columbia
    Atlanta
    Savannah
    Jacksonville
    Orlando
    Miami

We have 13 days to cover this in December. I have few questions;

Is it safe for girls to go on this road trip?

when you rent a car does insurance include in the rental?

Is there a route we should avoid?

Please do share anything that might be helpful, as this is our first trip to the US.

Thanks

Default getting started

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Is it safe for girls to go on this road trip?
    Certainly. If you are practicing common sense safety precausion, being on the road isn't necessarily any more dangerous than being in your own home town. This article should help you with some of your concerns.

when you rent a car does insurance include in the rental?
    Car rental agencies will certainly sell you insurance, for an additional fee. It will not be included in the rental rate. However, if you already have insurance for a personal car, its likely you would be covered under that policy. Here is more information about the various types of car rental insurance you'll see.

Is there a route we should avoid?
    I find it curious that you'd be more interested in finding a route to avoid than finding a route that would make for the idea trip, but having said that, there are many options. The right route for your will depend upon your priorities and goals for your trip.

Please do share anything that might be helpful, as this is our first trip to the US.
    You might find more helpful information in the International Visitors section of this website.

3. Default

Thank you for that. I really appreciate it. What i was trying to say was that is there a highway i should avoid in terms of traffic.

Default Washington DC - Richmond VA

This is the only part of your trip that crosses the area I'm familiar with. The most obvious road is I-95. If you have the flexibility, I'd try to be South of Richmond by the Thursday before Christmas -- until then traffic should be reasonable manageable. The road can get terribly crowded during school holidays

Also the roads near DC have a potential for being crowded during rush hours (6:30 - 8:30, peak about 7:30; and 4-6, peaking at 5:30). For the area just south of the I-495 loop to Fredericksburg because of the many military establishments, the rush starts a little earlier. P.M. rush moves away from DC in the p.m, however, with three in the car, you'll be able to use HOV lanes anytime after 1 pm on weekdays (from I-95 & I-495 for about 12? miles), or on a Saturday. No other HOVs between Baltimore and Richmond.

The parallel road is US-1 ... a lot of stop lights and businesses between Wash DC and Fredericksburg, VA. After that, a little more of Americana than if you take the main route. All side roads to I-95 converge in Fredericksburg, because a wide river and a high bank limit the number of available bridges. Fredericksburg has a visitor center and a number of historical area, ... but all depends upon what you want to see on your way down to Florida.