1. Default moving NY- SF Nov. 6th-ish

Hi folks-

I've just joined. I'm moving cross country and after hearing some tales of woe about lost boxes (I've got a small apt), I thought I'd check out renting a small U-Haul and driving it myself.

The last time I tried driving cross country about 15 years ago, I did it in the middle of summer and didn't make it (heat exhaustion from drinking soda/coffee in car w/o A/C, driving with windows down).

It's fall and I think the weather shouldn't be too bad yet. Does traveling in a moving truck seem dangerous (more likely to get attacked/robbed)? Should I definitely stay in an econo lodge instead of trying to cheap it out by sleeping in the truck cab at a WalMart?

Trying to figure out if it's cheaper to rent the truck with gas or just get it moved...Looks like moving it might be cheaper...

Any suggestions? tips?

Default Moving is a good reason for an epic road trip

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

It's fall and I think the weather shouldn't be too bad yet. Does traveling in a moving truck seem dangerous (more likely to get attacked/robbed)? Should I definitely stay in an econo lodge instead of trying to cheap it out by sleeping in the truck cab at a WalMart?
    Weather shouldn't be a real issue but you might still pay attention to weather forecasts so you will know if you need to modify your route to go around a severe stormfront.

I have never heard that moving trucks are robbed more often than any other kind of traveler. As long as you use good common sense and avoid risky situations, I think you should be just fine.

If you want to sleep in the truck cab, I would not suggest WalMart. While some WalMarts do allow RVs to park their for the night, they are equipped with their own bathrooms and other amenities you won't have. It's far better and far safer, imho, to overnight at 24-hour truck plazas. You can park next to the big boys and you should be fine doing that. Just purchase a meal or something in their store and let them know that you will be spending the night. While they don't guard you, these places are busy enough with people coming and going all night long that you will rarely be isolated enough for a break-in to occur.

I think it would be wise to plan for staying in a motel every-other-night simply because you are likely to get better rest. Just a suggestion.

Trying to figure out if it's cheaper to rent the truck with gas or just get it moved...Looks like moving it might be cheaper...
    I couldn't answer that. If you're doing this roadtrip solely to save money, it might be best to go ahead and ship your belongings and fly to your new home. However, if you're excited about experiencing new roads and vistas, and making this a great adventure, go for it.

You will need a good 6 days to make this trip. At roughly 3000 miles, you'll need to average 500 miles per day. This will likely take you about nine hours each day, allowing for quick stops for food/fuel/bio breaks and a few very quick look-sees as interesting sights. If you want to do more sightseeing along the way, you will be on the road even longer. We generally recommend 500-550 miles per day as the top end for a multi-day trip in order to keep people from becoming overly fatigued. This is especially important when you're driving an unfamiliar vehicle, especially something like a moving truck.

You're in luck because the general route that is quickest is also the route that roughly follows the historic Lincoln Highway.

If we can help you further, let us know. Enjoy!

If you are going to run I 80 all the way weather shouldn't be an issue. Unless some late fall blizzard comes up the only places I would worry about snow would be Donner Pass in Cal, the mountains just east of SLC, and a few of the higher elevations in Wyo. If you sleep in your truck the truckstops would be your best bet. Get a good padlock and lock the cargo door and keep your doors locked. Avoid the truck stops in the large metropolitan areas if at all possible. They can be dangerous. The Ohio turnpike and Indiana toll road service plaza's are good places to sleep. They have truck parking and restaurants and restrooms. Some of the plaza's in Ohio have showers. Good luck with your move.