1. Default Sequoia NP to Death Valley

Hi from England,

We are planning a California road trip in April from Yosemite and ending in either San Diego or Las Vegas. One part we are struggling with is getting from Sequoia NP to the Furnace Creek area of Death Valley, both places we really want to go to. Is this doable within reason, via the Bakersfield direction I assume, in one day? Roughly how long would it take? Thanks for any advice.

David

Default Very Roundabout, but Yes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's around 380 miles more or less, but yes you can get from Sequoia to Death Valley in a day. You'd first head west to Visalia, CA and get on CA-99 south, then take CA-58 east at Bakersfield. At Mojave turn north on CA-14/US-395 to the Owens Lake area where CA-190 east will complete your drive to Death Valley. If you want to do this in a day, you won't have a lot of time for sightseeing, but the drive itself is pretty scenic.

AZBuck

Default long day

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Yes, it is certainly possible to make the trip in one day, but you will be spending most of the day on the road. The fastest route via Bakersfield, over CA-58 to Mojave, and then up CA-14/US395 to Owens Lake will take you about 8 hours of driving.

Another option would be to take CA-178 past Lake Isabella to cross the Sierra and/or continue on CA-178 through Ridgecrest and approach DV from that route. That route might take a couple extra hours, but even that could be done over a long day.

Default More help if required.

Hello there,
    You have your answer but if you would like to share your itinerary and how long you have for the trip we maybe able to help you "fine tune" it. Depending on these things it's sometimes possible to push on a little in the afternoon/ eve and take pressure of the following days travel times. It's a fantastic area with lots of diversity and you will want to make the most of your time to take it all in.

Dave.

5. Default Thanks

Thankyou!

For our 15 nights, we are vaguely thinking:
    5 nights in Yosemite
    3 nights in Sequoia
    3 nights in Death Valley
    4 nights in Las Vegas, or Joshua Tree and San Diego.

I don't really fancy 380 miles on one day so we may think about an extra night's stop between Sequoia and Death Valley!

David

Default breaking it up

If you're looking for a good stopover place, then I think I'd look at the Lake Isabella/Kernville area. Its a plesant area with lots of lodges and places to stay, and since you'll be early in the season, you shouldn't have trouble finding a nice place.

Default Refreshing.

Hi,

I, and many other road trippers can be guilty of trying to cover a lot of ground in relatively short periods of time so it's refreshing to see a well laid plan with plenty of time in a few well chosen places, The "less is more" springs to mind.

I agree with Michael, Lake Isabella/Kernville would be a good stop over point and you have the time to do so. An alternative to get there would be to head towards Three rivers/Visalia on your last day in Sequoia and the next morning take the wonderful mountain drive through to the Kern valley and Kernville.
    This starts at Porterville on 190 and heads through Camp Nelson,Quaking meadows and Johnsondale, passing the Trial of 100 giants a little visited grove of giant Sequoias, before following the Kern river into the lovely little town of Kernville. In my opinion it is well worth it, but it is a slow going twisty mountain road and will take up the best part of the day.

8. Default Great!

Thanks both, they look good suggestions.
    We want to actually spend some quality time in the fabulous places we are visiting rather than just checking them off a list in a 'been there done that' attitude.
    Great website.

David

Default The "Big ditch"

Our pleasure.

I don't want to take away from the great job you have done, but if I were to take the Vegas option at the end of your trip I would sacrifice a night[or 2] and head from D/V to the south rim of the Grand canyon and then return to Vegas for 2-3 nights. It's only a 5-6 hour drive back and would give you the option of travelling an old part of '66 and crossing the hoover dam, it's just a thought and it would add approx 350 miles over the L/A option, but that sunset.................. ;-)

Have a great trip !!!