1. Default NJ to WashingtonDC

Hey yall! Im planning on heading down to Washington DC in December with my guy when he comes home from his deployment. We're going to Arlington Cemetery so he can pay his respects to some of his buddies that were KIA. I know this is going to be a rough thing for him & so we've decided to make a fullblown roadtrip out of it, find some corny sights to go see to try to lighten the mood a little.
    Any suggestions of corny/unique places to stop along the way from Central New Jersey to DC?

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Sounds like a good idea to mix it up

I would imagine this will be a tough trip for you and your guy. I think mixing some laughs in is a great idea. Please give him my condolences for his lost friends and my thanks for his service. Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

I'm not familiar with roadtripping in that area but I can recommend a visit to Roadside America that specializes in locating these types of tacky tourist traps and roadside kitsch.

I'm sure some others will pop in here with personal recommendations as well.

Please let us know how we can help you further.

Tucson, AZ

Default Two Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's only about 180 miles from Fort Dix to Arlington, so there's plenty of time to take side roads and see stuff either on the way to Washington, on the way back, or both. I see at least two possibilities for such a trip, both of which could be made in a day's drive, though two would be better. One trip would do as you suggest and "lighten the mood a little". For this you would first head down through central New Jersey to Cape May and then take the ferry over to Lewes, DE. Walk the beaches and then drive across the Delmarva Peninsula at a slow pace, maybe taking another ferry, strolling through a wildlife area, visiting a maritime museum, or walking the streets of one of America's historic cities.

The alternative is to embrace the sacrifices that your boyfriend and his compatriots have made and put it in a larger context. Such a trip would visit many of the locations where men and women have sacrificed much to give us the freedoms that we enjoy. This trip would include visits to Brandywine Battlefield, scene of the largest engagement of the Revolution, Gettysburg, the turning point of the Civil War, Fort Frederick, once the western outpost of the U.S., and Antietam, site of the single bloodiest day in American history.

Whatever you decide to do, your boyfriend will be fortunate to have you by his side.

Last edited by AZBuck; 10-01-2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Link Added