Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lightning Road Trip

Hey guys - first time post. Living in the UK but used to live in Los Angeles and I own an old '79 Trans Am still in CA which I have always loved taking out on Road Trips. Next week I have to take it back to my in laws in MT. I am planning a very short trip over 3/4 days via Monument Valley - so lots of driving and unfortunately very little stopping :-(

None the less wondered if anyone had any suggestions of where to stop in between. Thinking Flagstaff first night, like that town but not sure about beyond. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-02-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo in the title?

Default Classic muscle car!

That should make for a fun roadtrip car! Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

I'm guesstimating miles since I don't know where in CA and where in MT so, using LA and Billings, your route is about 1550 miles. Easily done in three 500 mile days. We generally recommend people needing to cover ground while still having a bit of time each day to explore the sights plan for 500-550 miles per day...so you're right on target for a 3 day trip. If you have the 4th day, that leaves some more time to explore along the way.

Flagstaff would be a good stop but you're still about 175 miles from Monument Valley. If you want to have more time to explore there, you might want to go a bit farther down the road first. There are several links in this discussion that should give you some tips on Monument Valley.

While Flagstaff is nice, I think I might press onto Tuba City in order to get closer to Monument Valley in the morning. Here are some lodging options.

If you're gong to spend a half-day in Monument Valley, a good place for the next night might be Moab. You can take in some of the charm of the town and do a quick trip into Arches NP before continuing north.

Pocatello or Idaho Falls, Idaho, would make good stops for the last night on the road. But, really, this advice really depends upon where in Montana you're headed.

Default updated destinations

Hey thanks so much. Yeah of course I should have been more specific on destinations. I am leaving from Orange County CA (probably) and heading to Big Sky MT. Thanks for the tips on destinations will definately check out the treads adivice. Great site by the way, I know I spent some good times here!.

Oh and thanks for the positive coments on the car. It is my one big indulgence and gives a lot of pleasure not just to me but to so many people on the roads out there. Seems the Trans Am means a lot to so many, especially if you grew up in the 70's and 80's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Vrrooom, vvroom!

Yeah, when I was a young adult, that was one of THE cars people wanted. Very cool.

If you're going to Big Sky, you might consider spending the night in or near Salt Lake City instead of going on into Idaho for that last night. You can explore the amazing LDS buildings and the Great Salt Lake area. Also, the Golden Spike Historic Site.

But the rest of the recommendations should still work, if they interest you.

Enjoy the drive!

Default Monument

Thanks for all the help. Because I am sadly on a fairly tight time line I am not sure if I can make an overnight stop at Monument Valley. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the most rewrading drive through? As I will be coming in from the West via Flagstaff or possibly on further as advised, will my natural route take me a scenic route given I then need to head north via Salt Lake? Or is there a sensible diversion I should take that will get me back on course?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

Default Flagstaff?

Hi there,

Is there a reason for heading to Flagstaff? It seems to be out of your way if you are no longer heading for Monument valley.

To go for Salt lake I-15 would be more direct and there are a few places to visit just of it. Springdale right next to Zion n.p. would be a possible place to head for the night. A quick look around and onto Salt lake before heading on hwy 20 at Idaho falls right by Yellowstone and head North onto I-90 and I-94.

Just a thought, have a great trip.

Default Flagstaff

Hey

I am still going to monument valley (I know its no time) but the point was I can't really stay a night there. So the idea would be to get there AM, spend some time in the day and head on getting further North that night.

I am deliberately going out of my way to see MV - to make more of the trip rather than just hauling A for MT direct from LA. I have always wanted to drive through it.

BUT, if you guys think that is unwise on a 3-4 day day timeline, then let me know.

T

Default I think you're ok

With 3-4 days, I think a detour to Monument Valley is very much within reach. Judy's itinerary is right along the lines with what I'd think.

The first day I'd try to get to Tuba City or even Kayenta instead of Flagstaff. It would make for a driving intensive day, but not so far that it is unfeasable. The next day would be pretty relaxing, where you could tour Monument Valley, and maybe have time to tour some of Arches or Canyonlands before stopping in Moab. That would leave you with about 600 miles to go, so you could do it as a one day sprint via I-15, or if you have a 4th day, you could spend more time sightseeing along the way as you go north.

Default Sorry I misread it.

Hi again,

Apologies, I thought you were not going to M/V at all now, I read it to quickly.

If you were to continue past Flagstaff, then the Trading post in Cameron could be a good place to get your head down, It's on the 89 a short way from the 160 to M/V.

I am also a fan of your mode of transport ;-)

Default Tuba City still works

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTrips View Post
    Hey

I am still going to monument valley (I know its no time) but the point was I can't really stay a night there. So the idea would be to get there AM, spend some time in the day and head on getting further North that night.

I am deliberately going out of my way to see MV - to make more of the trip rather than just hauling A for MT direct from LA. I have always wanted to drive through it.

BUT, if you guys think that is unwise on a 3-4 day day timeline, then let me know.

T
    That's why I advised: "While Flagstaff is nice, I think I might press onto Tuba City in order to get closer to Monument Valley in the morning. Here are some lodging options."
    * Day 2 - you could see Monument Valley in the morning, then drive to Moab and probably get there in time to visit Arches NP in the evening. Or, if you prefer, the morning of day 3.
    * Day 3 - explore Arches or drive straight to Salt Lake City. You will have time to explore the city that evening.
    * Day 4 - head home.

Easily done in 4 days.

If you decide you only have 3 days:
    Day 1 - Tuba City
    Day 2 - Salt Lake City
    Day 3 - Home
    Probably not much time for Arches or checking out the sites in SLC, but you should still be able to spend some time at Monument Valley in the morning on Day 2.