1. Default Eastern Oregon to Vegas w/least hills

I will be traveling from The Dalles, OR to Kingman, AZ which is just 100 miles south of Vegas and I will be towing my 19' travel trailer with my 1985 Diesel Suburban and as it is VERY slow going up hills pulling the trailer I wondered which route would have the least hills? I am thinking of going to Portland and taking I5 all the way down to Bakersfield then to Needles and up to Kingman. Mapquest shows going I84 to Twin Falls, ID and then down highway 93 from there but I think there is lots of up and down that way although I have not traveled it and am not sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be travleing probably October 6 and taking 2-3 nights for the trip.
    Thanks in advance for your time!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I think that if you are trying to avoid hills then the I-5 route will be just what you are looking for. Interstate highways are designed for long-haul trucking whereas US routes may or may not have this purpose in mind.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default one other alternative

Tim is right about the Interstates being a good bet. One other option would be to take I-82/84 all the way to Utah, and then take I-15 down to Vegas.

Both that route and I-5 are of similar distance. Both will have some mountains, but the grades should be pretty manageable and in a worst case you simply move into the right hand lane and let the other traffic move around you.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Or through Idaho/Utah

That's what Google Maps recommends, see here.

I've driven most of both routes, but not all of either. Except for one memorable hill in eastern OR or western ID, I think the route is has relatively easy grades.

Either way, I agree that interstates are your best bet due to the parameters for building them.