1. Default Wisconsin to Arkansas

Towards the end of October my mom and I are going from Green Bay, Wisconsin, down to visit friends in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. We plan on staying one night in the Memphis area, and seeing Beale St, Graceland, and the National Civil rights museum the next day. Can anyone think of any 'must sees' either in Memphis or along the way for us? We have made several road trips in the past, and we love it all- scenic views, off beat resturaunts, historical markers, and the truly weird. Please let me know if you can think of anything!

Tucson, AZ

Default An Alternative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If that's what you love about RoadTrips, then I'm going to suggest something a bit different. The shortest route from Green Bay to Memphis is I-43 to Milwaukee, I-90 to Chicago, and I-57/I-55 to Memphis. But that's still a good two day's drive. Last year I drove from St. Louis to Green Bay and back on a family reunion tour and had a great time basically following the Great River Road(s) instead. It was quite scenic and just a few of the stops I enjoyed were Horicon Marsh (WI), Nauvoo (IL), Keokuk (IA), Hannibal (MO) and Ste. Genevieve (MO). Each has something unique to offer, more than I can describe in a few sentences here. So, have a look at those locations and see if they appeal to you. If they do and if you can spare a third day on the way to Memphis, this would make a great alternative to the standard Interstate route, and I'll be happy to try to fill in some details.

Last edited by AZBuck; 09-25-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Link to Field Report added

Euphermom Guest

Default Great River Roads is a lovely trip!

I know coming through Missouri at least it is beautiful along the River Road! If you still aren't in a rush once you leave Memphis - cut over to Hwy 70 just west of West Memphis - it runs parallel to I-40 - for the most part just a few miles south of I40 all the way to Little Rock. You won't have to deal with the heavy big rig traffic - just a laid back drive! Not much to see though except miles of flat farmland so if you just want to get that last three hours over with stick to the interstate from Memphis to LR. Hot Springs Village should be beautiful by the end of October! Great time to visit!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, Missouri

Right off I-55. Lambert's is a real experience from the "throwed rolls" to "pass-arounds," and just great food.

My advice to you, don't miss it. However, make sure you arrive hungry.