1. Default las vegas to grand canyon?

im travelling to las vegas in october and have a fear of small planes and helicopters and really wouldnt enjoy the experience if i flew to the grand canyon.

So we are thinking of driving? according to different websites and different Rims some say two and a half hours and some say six?

Could you please tell me if we go the the west rim which i guess is the closest realisticly how long will it take to drive there??

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not two

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The grand canyon is a very popular roadtrip from Vegas, so you'll be in good company.

First of all, I don't think there is any section of the canyon that you can get to in 2.5 hours. The "West Rim" is the closest, but it is also not part of Grand Canyon National Park, it is part of an Indian Reservation. This is also the area with the "Skywalk," however, admission into the reservation is pretty expensive (I believe $25 per person, not including the skywalk) and from what I've heard, the roads to get there are not in very good shape.

The Grand Canyon National Park consists of the North and South Rim. The South Rim is the more popular one, with more services and is open year round. The North Rim is at a higher elevation, and closes during the winter and spring.

If you go to the South Rim, its an easy trip, down US-93 to I-40, and then over to Williams, AZ before turning north again. The travel time is 5-6 hours, so its really too far to do in a single day. You can look to stay overnight either at the rim, just outside the park, or about an hour away down in Williams.