Thread: NP's camping

Default NP's camping

We are planning on camping on our own in Yosemite and Grand Canyon. What are the big tips or advice before getting in there, and during our stay on in the inside? Also, do we have to get permission or permits for these activites? Thanks

Hello,
    A great way to spend your time in these parks. Here info on camping in Yosemite.
    You will notice you need a wilderness permit and there is no longer unrestricted camping. If you are thinking of going to the back and beyond it's always worth letting someone know your plans and when you expect to return, and don't leave inviting goodies that will tempt bears into your tent, they have bear proof storage containers at the camp grounds for food and anything else in a "human wrapper".

Here's the Grand canyon camping page. Once again you will see you will need a permit for back country camping.

Hope that helps some.

Default National Park Limitations

While there may be a few exceptions, if you are looking for dispersed camping options (where you aren't using an established campground), then National Parks really aren't your best bet. Generally speaking, camping in National Parks is limited to only marked campgrounds.

They may have some back country sites that you have to hike to and from, but even then, you have to stick to established sites.

If you are looking to camp on your own, away from an established site where you simply find a good place in the woods to set up a tent, then you are better off looking for National Forest or BLM lands.

In any case, you should check with the ranger station to find out regulations for the areas you'll be looking at.

Thanks guys, i had no idea unrestricted camping was prohibited. I have another question then. Can you go from campground/site to campground/site? We plan on exploring for 4 days, so staying at one campground the whole time wouldnt be ideal.

Default with limitations

The only reason you couldn't switch sites every nite is if all of the sites were full. Of course, when you are talking about the grand canyon and yosemite, that certainly would be a possibility. I know in the Grand Canyon, for example, you have to make reservations for back country permits months in advance.

Beyond that, I'd suggest checking directly with the park for availablity.

Default Peak season?

A lot will depend on what time of year you are visiting, during the peak season you really need to book your permits and/or reservation campgrounds as early as possible in advance to have any chance of securing a spot. Of course, if you find 4 sites that except reservations you can pre book a night at each to guarantee a site. I would of thought that with a back country pass, they would make the numbers fit so that sites available are enough to cater for permit buyers. However that's just an assumption and as Michael said you would be best of checking with the parks.
    We stayed in a main campground in Yosemite, and there was always a ranger nearby and they are very helpful and could always answer any questions about current conditions in the park by 2 way radio, so I doubt you would have to hike miles only to find the campsite full.

7. Default

My advice is to stay in a single campsite and then travel to the various places within the park. Breaking/setting up camp can take awhile and most park drives are nice ones anyway.