Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Truck stops or rest stops in Northern Ontario or Northern Quebec?

Hello!

Does anyone know if rest stops can you can catch a nap for a few hours are common in Northern Ontario/Quebec? I know it already snows up there, so I am not sure how fast/far I would be able to go when coming back to Toronto, which puts me anywhere between Macamic, QC and New Liskeard, ON. Therefore I am looking for rest stops somewhere along 101/65. How common and how safe are they? I do know in Quebec rest stops are called "haltes routières".
    Also, should I just leave the car idling for the time I'll be sleeping since it will be ~0-5C at night? I guess can also put the heat on max for 15 minutes before I get to the rest stop I will decide to stay at, just have to listen to loud music at that time to stay awake.

P.S. I am not sure if rest stops are listed on my GPS, will check that, but feedback from people who used rest stops up there would be great.

Also do you suggest renting a bigger car or will I be ok with compact? This is for Toronto to Chisasibi trip.

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Default Truck Stops

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Therefore I am looking for rest stops somewhere along 101/65. How common
    There seem to be quite a few -- here is a site with a few of them listed. Here is a short overview about truck stops in general. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Also, should I just leave the car idling for the time I'll be sleeping since it will be ~0-5C at night?
    Just make sure that your exhaust pipe is free of any snow and it has room to breathe. Make sure you crack the windows in the passenger cabin.

Mark
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-18-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: fixed quote format

3. Default

Thanks, Mark!
    There are actually just 1 in Quebec (in Royun Noranda) along 101, but that should do it.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-18-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: navigation

Default Size of car?

Also do you suggest renting a bigger car or will I be ok with compact? This is for Toronto to Chisasibi trip
    I think only you can really answer that as we have no idea how much gear you are taking so I can't comment on space issues. I pack a lot in my compact car but I also don't sleep in it. I tent camp. Now, I will pull over a catch a few winks...sometimes for several hours...if I'm zonked. I'm quite comfortable leaning the front seat back and sleeping that way now and then. But I would hate to do it night-after-night. If that's your plan, you might want a bigger car so that, hopefully, you can stretch out a bit more.

But, then again, is it possible a smaller car will be cheaper to rent and drive and, therefore, leave you money free for a campsite and/or motel to sleep in?

5. Default

Hello Judy,

Just taking warm clothes, a few wrenches and a cooler with the food. I don't have a jerrycan, so will have to watch my fuel carefully. Or maybe I'll pick one up. Still need to call CAA to find out what to do in case there is no cell phone reception, since I'm going to a remote area.

Doing it only for one night, the rest of the time will stay in hotels/motels.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-20-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default James Bay Road info/truck stops

I don't know about Ontario, but besides the cold temperatures, I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble sleeping in your car in virtually any rest stop in Quebec...That is if you are able to find anything that resembles a truck stop in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue and the James Bay Region. I highly doubt it since the regular haltes routières are located on major interstates. However, you can stop at any dépanneur (convenience store) and ask them if you can sleep in their parking lot. People in those remote areas are typically friendly and will most likely be surprised you'd even asked. Cops know there aren't a lot of sleeping places for truck drivers anyway so most of the time they just let them be. They are also used to have hunters and fishermen sleeping in their pick-up trucks or pitching a tent by the side of the road. As for safety, I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I'd sleep in a rest stop in that area by myself any time. I've done it in the North Shore area between Baie-Comeau and Fermont, which is pretty similar to the James Bay road but even more remote. Lock the doors of your vehicle and don't leave any valuables in plain sight. Use common sense. Don't stay in a location where you don't feel safe. BTW, if you are interested in motels as well, take note that as you reach the James Bay Region, motel rooms become more expensive and less luxurious.:oP

I believe temperatures at this time of the year more or less oscillate between 5 C and -5 C so be sure to bring warm clothing including a hat, gloves, scarf and a winter coat. Bring an ice scraper, traction aids, a communication device, winter windshield washer, put winter tires on your car, etc.

Are you going to see the hydroelectric facilities?:) Take a look at this helpful website to get you started and to get some tips.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-20-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default CAA/Sleeping in the car

I'm almost sure that CAA covers that area. They cover the entire North Shore of Quebec including the unpaved route 389 to Fermont and the Blanc-Sablon area, so I can't see why they wouldn't cover a paved road (for the most part anyway) to the James Bay. However, if you car breaks down, be prepared to wait several hours. It would be a good idea to bring a few candle-lanterns in case you can't use the car heater. I also doubt a cell phone will work there, but you could borrow or rent a low frequency radio to use in case of emergency.

Depending on your height and luggage, a compact might be a bit too small. I am 5'8'' and I manage to sleep fairly comfortably in my 2005 Honda Civic as long as I don't move too much. If I'd be an inch taller, I wouldn't be at ease.

Will you have a rental car? If so, check with the rental company if you are allowed to drive the car to the James Bay area. I know many companies have restrictions regarding those regions.

8. Default

I definitely did not plan staying overnight on James Bay road, wouldn't want a bear to wake me up. Yes, going to see Robert-Bourassa staircase.

I don't expect luxury from this trip, as long as there is a bed I can sleep on, I'm good. I got the idea for the trip from that website :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quebec Gen View Post
    I'm almost sure that CAA covers that area. They cover the entire North Shore of Quebec including the unpaved route 389 to Fermont and the Blanc-Sablon area, so I can't see why they wouldn't cover a paved road (for the most part anyway) to the James Bay. However, if you car breaks down, be prepared to wait several hours.
    This might be a Quebec thing about car rental companies restricting driving to the James Bay area. I called Alamo to ask about restrictions, and if renting in YYZ, I can go anywhere in Canada and US as long as it is on the paved road. I also sent an email about this, just to have a paper trail.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-21-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Default Not a good strategy

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    I also sent an email about this, just to have a paper trail.
    I wouldn't provide any up-front information about where you are going to drive -- unless you LIKE paying extra fees. The reality is that the vehicle you will be renting is embedded with GPS locator chip and they will "know" where the vehicle is and has gone. It's rare that any national car rental firm charges extra for a vehicle that is driven beyond the parameters of the "preferred area" UNLESS you tell them ahead of time. A paper trail is not a good plan for you.

Mark

10. Default

I did not provide my reservation number with the email (used a different email address to book), just asked a general question to be on the safe side.

When renting in Toronto, Ontario companies like Enterprise, Dollar, etc. may and often do charge for extra mileage outside of province. Hertz and Alamo do not. I do know they have different rates for km/day in their system though (found out this when booking a car via Priceline's Name-Your-Own Price), but as long as it says unlimited on the contract, it is unlimited (with Hertz and Alamo). I realize that in different states/provinces things may be different.

I see what you are saying though.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-21-2008 at 05:29 PM.