Default Roadtrip may 09. Alabama to Yosemite and back

I am new here and I am totally new to the idea of roadtrips, ive talked about it for years now, but im done talking. Me and my friend are gonna travel from Mobile, al(hour from the beaches) up to Yosemite. Im looking for ideas on places to stop along the way. Grand Canyon is definitely one. I dont know all the must see places from here to there. Any suggestions? We are planning on this being 4 weeks long, and at least wanna stay in Yosemite NP for five days. We are up for anything, any route going and coming because our rental car has unlimited mileage. We are big into nature and scenery, forests, all that good stuff. Not really interested in Vegas. Thanks for any help guys and girls!
    Last edited by melonhead87; 09-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Default A little of everything

Well, with 4 weeks, you've got quite a bit of time to work with, and you're really dealing with a trip that encompasses the southern half of the country, so you've really got unlimited options.

I'd probably look at a bit of a loop, focusing on site in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona going out, then spend a little time in California both along the coast and at the other national parks, and then I would work back checking out the amazing sites of Utah and Colorado. Its a real vauge outline, but I think if you look around, you should be able to come up with lots of ideas that will fit your personal interests and more than fill up your time.

Thanks, man. Depending on money, it might be 21 days, but colorado, california, arizona,utah, and wyoming are states we wanna try to stop at. Hit the main NPs, camping at grand canyon and yosemite, visiting the arches. past that, were arent sure what we wanna do with 3-4 weeks time

Default Sites to see?

Going on a month long road trip in may 09 with my friend. Every place to visit is up for discussion. The states we want to stop in are california(Yosemite), the grand canyon(NM and colorado) and utah for the arches. What other places in those states are must see? we will also be passing through arizona. Mostly we are looking for natural wonders, scenery, nature, along those lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everybody

Default Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by melonhead87 View Post
    Going on a month long road trip in may 09 with my friend. Every place to visit is up for discussion. The states we want to stop in are california(Yosemite), the grand canyon(NM and colorado) and utah for the arches. What other places in those states are must see? we will also be passing through arizona. Mostly we are looking for natural wonders, scenery, nature, along those lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everybody
    Just a bit of a note - the Grand Canyon isn't in either one of those states. It's actually in Arizona. Do you have your budget planned out? Do you know where you will be staying (camping, hotels, etc), or are you planning to "wing it"?

In Utah I would add Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks to the list. Are you into hiking the back country or do you plan to do most of your visiting from the roads?

Default Grand Canyon = Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by melonhead87 View Post
    the grand canyon(NM and colorado)
    Just a quick clarification -- The Grand Canyon is in Arizona (not New Mexico or Colorado). Please use this thread for all future discussion of this trip planning.

Mark

yeah sorry about that. I got mixed up thinking about the colorado river down in the grand canyon, thanks for the clarifications. We are def hiking/camping at grand canyon, and yosemite., hoping to find all the good spots. but when we arent camping, were looking to stay at hostels for the most part, maybe a motel here and there, and probably winging it some too. our budget, which was just a guess, was round 800$ a piece after rental car. will that be enough? and thanks for the suggestion on utah, I hope we can make a visit to both of those

Default Sounds like you need to work on you budget first

Check out Bucks for the Basics which has some steps for you to work through to help you get a handle on the funds you'll need for your dream trip. I think you need to start there to see if you can do the trip for as long as you want. Eating out of your cooler is one way to help keep costs down. You might find there are times when inexpensive motels are the same price, or even cheaper, than hostels. However, hostels are very cool and will give you a chance to meet other people. But, if your budget is tight, you will want to compare prices. So, really, you need to start here as your budget seems tight to me for the time you want to be gone. YOu don't want to run out of money half-way through the trip.