1. Default Southwest touring

Hi Guys,

I am in the DC area.

I had a 15 day forced vacation in December of 2006. So I flew into phoenix, AZ and then drove up to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon and Zion (in a rental car). It was an absolute pleasure to drive to all those places. I really enjoyed my first true road trip (for pleasure). Now, I do have a lot of vacation days left this year. So I can possibly get around 2 weeks over the christmas/new year time. But, I don't like flying and love my little car. Is it feasible for me to drive to NM in my car and then do a road trip? My concern is that I will end up spending 3 days each just going back and forth!

what do you guys think?

Default thats right

Yeah, I think you've pretty much summed it up. It would be possible to do a roadtrip in the time you've got available, but you're going to spend about half of it just driving to and from the southwest.

Of course, what you could do is take even a couple more days and do some extra exploring while you are on your way out. It would be more of loop than a trip just to explore the southwest, but its how I would maximize the time you have available, without flying.

Default There's a Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by dinesh75

Is it feasible for me to drive to NM in my car and then do a road trip? My concern is that I will end up spending 3 days each just going back and forth!
    Since the purpose of a RoadTrip is to be on the road seeing new places, people and things, most people around here would be hard pressed to see the difference between a 3 or 4 day drive to New Mexico and a RoadTrip. So rather than looking at the 'getting there' as something to be endured, treat it as something to be enjoyed. There is a ton of stuff to see between D.C. and, say, Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Taos. Rather than rush past it all to get to your destination in 3 days, take the time to see some of it. Take two different routes out/back. If you spend 5 days driving each way, you'll have time for some meaningful experiences on the road and still have 5 or 6 days to spend in New Mexico. From your past trips it looks like you like camping/hiking/scenery, so two possible routes would be 1) south along the Appalachians to the Great Smoky Mountains, westward through Memphis and then the Ozarks, up the Red River Valley and across the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles and 2) following old Route 66 back up to St. Louis and then up the Ohio River Valley finishing up by heading cross country through Kentucky, West Virginia and home.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks guys. AZBuck, you are right. I could possibly take my time in getting to NM. I could do a circuit drive seeing new things all the time. However, If I go to a place, I do like to spend time getting to know it before I start taking my pics.

Another alternative is that I could go to FL. Spend some time in Everglades and do some snorkeling/diving in the keys and Biscayne NP.

Default This may be a better option

Quote Originally Posted by dinesh75 View Post
    However, If I go to a place, I do like to spend time getting to know it before I start taking my pics.

Another alternative is that I could go to FL. Spend some time in Everglades and do some snorkeling/diving in the keys and Biscayne NP.

Since you want to spend more in-depth time in one place, I just don't think you'll have enough time to really do NM the way you want. Florida or any other location closer to DC might be a better option for you. It's a 2-day drive so this will leave you 11 days to explore.

I actually like the roadtrip better than the "being there" myself so the longer roadtrip to NM appeals more to me but it sounds like you would have to make trade-offs that might not work for you.

I wouldn't nix going to NM outright yet and I would ponder AZBuck's suggestions a bit more, if I were you. You might find you enjoy the road more than you think you will. It's worth considering anyway.