1. Default Newbie needs advice SF to Las Vegas

Hi everyone and apologies for probably duplicating previous threads but i am desperately trying to put together a trip for a couple of weeks time.

The plan is to drive San Francisco to Las Vegas and this is what i was thinking.

Sept 28 Fly to SF
    Sept 29 SF
    Sept 30 SF
    Oct 1 Leave SF start drive To Las Vegas
    Oct 2 Continue drive to Las Vegas
    Oct 3 Continue drive to Las Vegas
    Oct 4 Continue drive to Las Vegas - arrive Las Vegas in evening
    Oct 5 Las Vegas
    Oct 6 Las Vegas
    Oct 7 Fly Home

I know i have not left enough time to plan this but a really need some advice.

I plan to book the overnights on the drive so where should i book the 3 nights? Names of towns or hotels would be really helpful

Have i allowed enough time, i want to go via Yosemite and Death Valley, I know i can't get to the Grand Canyon.

So that's the challenge, thanks in advance to anyone who can help and apologies for asking such a difficult question so late in the day

Regards

David

2. Default

Hi David - Have done this trip vica versa (LV to SF) and loved it, its an amazing journey. Four days is just about enough time, though you won't have much time to linger in say Yosemite or take the odd detour, etc. Another day would give you alot more flexibility.
    Also I would suggest you don't prebook your Hotel and plan exactly where your going to stop. There really are plenty of Hotels along the way and then you have the benefit of stopping when and where you like along the way, without being beholden to a schedule. For me, thats an important part of a road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by k9david View Post
    Hi everyone and apologies for probably duplicating previous threads but i am desperately trying to put together a trip for a couple of weeks time.

The plan is to drive San Francisco to Las Vegas and this is what i was thinking.

Sept 28 Fly to SF
    Sept 29 SF
    Sept 30 SF
    Oct 1 Leave SF start drive To Las Vegas
    Oct 2 Continue drive to Las Vegas
    Oct 3 Continue drive to Las Vegas
    Oct 4 Continue drive to Las Vegas - arrive Las Vegas in evening
    Oct 5 Las Vegas
    Oct 6 Las Vegas
    Oct 7 Fly Home

Regards

David
    Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

It is indeed a wonderful journey. If you are leaving S/F by mid day then you will be able to get to Yosemite the same day. You could either stay just outside the park or inside. Here's a link to some of the accommodations available. Also the Yosemite bug is an option with a range of accommodations.
    I would recommend two nights here to give yourself chance to take in it's splendour, this will allow you time to take a trip up to Glacier point.

On the 3rd Oct leave the park by the 120 Tioga pass, which is a wonderful mountain drive with splendid views and take the 395 south, stopping around the Big pine/ Lone pine area.
    This will leave you the 4th to drive across Death valley by the 190 to Death valley junction, passing the sand dunes near Stovepipe wells, Furnace creek [good place for lunch and a look around the museum] on the way, and then to Pahrump and Vegas on the 160.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

4. Default Many thanks for help, brilliant trip

Just back from my trip and just wanted to say thanks for the advice and this website.

Stayed 3 nights in San Francisco (Hotel Nikko). Great city and a good hotel for location and value.

1 night in Oakhurst at the Shilo Inn, this is just outside Yosemite (45 mins) but makes a good base to fill up with fuel and just relax in the pool at prices below "in Yosemite"

1 night in Bishop, this is on the way out from Yosemite on the main road, again good location and choices of Restaurants.

1 night in Pahrump, after Death Valley and a excellent last overnight to get you in the mood for Vegas the next day

And finally 4 nights Las Vegas.

Highlights, Alcratez and Fishermans Wharf, Glacier Point, the Tioga Pass, Lone Pine (worth a stop if you like the old Cowboy films as it's where a number were made), Zabriske Point and Artists Drive in Death Valley and of course Las vegas itself.

Can't wait to start planning the next trip to take in Grand Canyon, Tombstone, Yuma etc etc and i'll be back for more advice.

Many thanks again to everyone who helps to make these trips easier to plan and take away some of the stress

Best wishes

David

Default Great news.

Welcome back David,

Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for dropping by to let us know how it went.

We will look forward to hearing about your next trip.

Dave.

Default Glad you had a fun time!

Do you have any specific recommendations for lodging or restaurants that you experienced?

Your next trip will be a hoot. Good choice!