Default Alaska Solo by Motorcycle

As a newbie here, I'd like to introduce myself. I am a young 52 whose house is paid off, kids almost out and gone and will soon have the freedom to wander for 1-2 months at a time before going home.

I live in northern NJ and ride a motorcycle. My goal for next summer is to ride across the mainland and head up to Alaska. Its a big trip regardless of the variables but it is doable. I have the milepost and am currently collecting information to make the trip better.

I am new to this forum but am active on many motorcycle forums. I am a member of the "iron butt association" which is dedicated to long distance riding. I haven't yet searched this forum for tidbits and advice so this post may be premature.

In any event, I welcome anything / everythng about a trip of this magnitude. I thank everyone in advance and will be glad to reciprocate when I can

Dave

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by dsgrn56 View Post
    As a newbie here, I'd like to introduce myself. I am a young 52 whose house is paid off, kids almost out and gone and will soon have the freedom to wander for 1-2 months at a time before going home.
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum! That's a good gig if you can get it.

In any event, I welcome anything / everythng about a trip of this magnitude. I thank everyone in advance and will be glad to reciprocate when I can
    Anytime a long trip is planned, it is best to start with your expected budget. I imagine fuel costs will be in check with a motorcycle, but lodging, food, and sundries need to be considered. Are you going to do 1 month, 2 months?
    What have you considered for your lodging? Food? I would imagine that Alaska presents some unique challenges in finding both.

We have several members that enjoy two-wheel travel and they may be able to help you out better than I.

Default I love you Iron Butt guys!

:)

I once met a guy in Green River, UT, that had driven from San Francisco to Colorado for lunch and was spending the night on the way home. Fun stuff!

Well, we would all be glad to help you with routing, lodging, budget, interesting sights to see along the way, and those types of things. Do you have some specific questions you need assistance with?

Quote Originally Posted by dsgrn56 View Post

I live in northern NJ and ride a motorcycle. My goal for next summer is to ride across the mainland and head up to Alaska. Its a big trip regardless of the variables but it is doable. I have the milepost and am currently collecting information to make the trip better.

I am new to this forum but am active on many motorcycle forums. I am a member of the "iron butt association" which is dedicated to long distance riding. I haven't yet searched this forum for tidbits and advice so this post may be premature.

Dave
    Dave - I live in Alaska and am planning a trip to Alabama and back this summer. I've caged the trip from Seattle a couple times and can answer your questions about the road, stops, town, etc. This is my first "long" trip by motorcycle and I'm researching how many miles I should expect to travel a day. I was hoping for 500 but my research is telling me I should expect less or plan on putting in 13 hour days. Any Iron Butt guy/gals who can give me some input on this I'd appreciate it.

I have a post in the Roadtrip Field Reports thread on how to ride 800 miles a day for 10 days. Total miles was 8800 in 11 days.
    That was my 48 states in 10 days ride. That ride was done on a Victory Vegas.
    This link is to a trip I did in 2007. The first day of this 16 day trip was over 1500 miles.
    If you have any questions let me know. I have two roadtrips planned for this year and a trip to Alaska planned for 2010.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255558

Great ride Rollin!! I see you planned each nights stop for the iron butt. Did you do the same on the return? Did you look for a place to stay each night or just try to get lucky.

I've caged the Alcan highway several times and I have a tendency to push further than I should. I've had to sleep in the truck a couple nights and even wait for gas stations to open to fuel up. We have a lot of daylight here in the summer and you have a tendency to want to use it. I'm going to regroup with the Garmin software and look at things again.

I really want this trip to go as smooth as I can make it. I'm getting a bit of flack on the home front about taking this trip alone. I expect to do a few practice runs around the Anchorage to Fairbanks loop to see how I feel, make sure my packing list is solid, and make sure some of the new stuff I bought for the bike works properly.

Default No reservations

The only stops I ever planned were the gas stops on the Iron Butt BBG1500, I didn't plan any over night stops
    because I never knew where I was going to end the day.
    On the 48-10 ride I didn't plan any stops, I had to average 800 miles a day so I just rode until I had at least 800 miles or it was dark.
    If I didn't make the 800 mile mark I had to make it up the next day.
    My wife doesn't like that I go on these rides but she knows that I enjoy them.

48 states in less than 10 days.
    http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=18154

8. Default

dave I'am planing a trip to Alaska this summer. leaving in July and coming back in august and I live in south jersey.

Welcome to the RTA Forum, oldrc.

I'm sorry to point out that dave, the original poster of this thread hasn't been back to the forum since he made that post back in 2008, so you're unlikely to get a response from him. If you'd like to talk about the trip you have coming up, wed invite you to crate a thread about it.

Default A popular activity.

On my trips to AK I have come accros many motor cyclists, bot solo and in groups. It is quite popular. (Even come accros the occasional bicyclist.)

If you have questions, why not follow Michael's suggestion, and start your own trip thread.

Lifey