Default From US to Mexico back to US??

Hey,
    My friends and I are travelling through the States at the moment and will be here for a total of 12 weeks and as a result don't need a visa.
    We are looking at taking a trip to Mexico for a day or 2 but are unsure if we do this will we get back into the States again?
    If anyone can help us with this we would be so grateful, we tried to look up info on the net but didn't get much info.

Thanks
    E

Default Not a problem

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Based on my understanding of the rules, you shouldn't have any problem reentering the US as long as you are within the allowed 90 days from when you first arrived in the US and obviously you can show that you intend to leave within that time frame.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to double check with customs, and you also should probably make sure that you are legally allowed to enter into Mexico. I have no idea what rules Mexico has for Irish tourists.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default Mexico 101

Depending on how far you plan to drive into Mexico, there might be other paperwork requirements. Check with the Mexican customs or your local embassy or consulate if any. Border crossing from the US to Mexico is usually fairly easy (if the light is green ("Paseo"), you don't even have to stop) but getting back is a bit more complicated than that. Be sure to have all the necessary documents with you.

Will you be driving a rental car? Very few, if any, American rental companies will allow drivers to cross the Mexican border. If your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, wait for the Green Angels (green tow trucks), they'll get to you eventually. They're the Mexican version of AAA or CAA and they are trustworthy. Driving in Mexico can be an exciting and/or scary experience depending on how you regard it.:) you might be stopped for an "agricultural inspection" or two. Beware of "topes" (speed bumps) as you reach urban areas.

I suggest you make photocopies of all your important documents and put them in your pockets, your bags, purses, etc. That way, if your purse or carry-on bag gets stolen, wether you are in the US or Mexico, you'll have something to rely on. Do not bring a weapon into Mexico under any circumstances, unless you're looking for trouble. Lastly, bear in mind that in most places, tap water is not filtered. I know this for a fact:oP

Have fun!
    Last edited by Quebec Gen; 09-16-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help guys :)

We are only planning on going to Mexico City for a day, think we are going to fly instead of driving.

I'll contact the Mexican embassy and see what they say, thanks again :)

E

Default I'd hope so

I've never really thought of Mexico City as a daytrip location, its certainly not one you could drive to in a day. I also would expect that even a cheap flight to mexico city will run a few hundred dollars.

Its there any reason you've picked Mexico City? There are a lot of places that really cater to travelers in Mexico, but I've never really thought of Mexico City as a prime tourist destination.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default What??

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Its there any reason you've picked Mexico City? There are a lot of places that really cater to travelers in Mexico, but I've never really thought of Mexico City as a prime tourist destination.
    Really? I'm quite surprised to hear, or rather, read that. Why is that so?? I'm curious. There's plenty to see out there. I personally wish I could go. We all know it is a densely populated area and a polluted area but besides that, it looks like a very interesting city, considering its history and especially what lies beneath it.

Default pollution plus

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but the pollution and also the high crime rate have always been a pretty big turn off to me. The city does have more history and things to do than I probably gave it credit for.

I think my bigger thing though is that there are a number of other cities in Mexico, some major tourist centers and some smaller lesser known areas, that I've found to be much more interesting.

Default Going for a gig

Hey
    Well the reason why we wanted to go was to see BRMC play a gig, I know its a bit crazy but...

Default And just as good a reason as any, I say!

How are your plans shaping up? Care to share what you found out about border crossings?