1. Default Vancouver, SF, LA and Vegas in December

EDIT: Eeks. Now that I've had some time to go through the other threads more leisurely, I can see that a lot of the questions I have, have already been asked, and answered.

I'll be going over the (millions of!) suggestions on things to do along the route, but a few things I haven't been able to find discussed so far:

1) Would it make sense to drive from SF, to Seattle, Vancouver BC, and then back down to LA and Vegas (within 13 to 14 days, but spending a couple of days each in Vancouver and Vegas); or should we fly to Seattle, take the train to and from Vancouver, and then do the drive from Seattle downwards (only about 7 days, but we'd already have covered Seattle and Vancouver), OR, should we fly to Vegas, and then drive all the way up (about 9 days after having covered Vegas)?

2) Just how much of a pain will driving be, given the weather in mid-December?

3) I guess this is kind of related to the first question, but rental car across the border - yay or nay?

I guess I should also mention that my best friend's all about the shopping and celebrity sightings, and I have a ridiculous fascination for bookstores. Museums and monuments are great in small doses, but we're really more about just soaking in the feel of a place, and hunting out it's inherent quirkiness.

---------------------------------
    Hello everyone,

I'm a brand new user, and I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this website. It's fantastic to finally find that all the information I need is in one place and easy to find, and to have people to ask advice from to boot.

My best friend and I have been dreaming about our Christmas vacation for months now, and things were finally coming together, after we'd booked our flights in and out of San Francisco (we live in Singapore). And then it was as if we'd run into a brick wall. It's uncanny the number of obstacles we've come up against while trying to get our domestic flights booked.

Essentially, we've got about 2 weeks, from the 9th of December, when we land in SF, to the 21st of December, when we need to get across to New York to meet up with the rest of our friends.

Our initial plan was to fly from SF to LA, then to Vegas, then to Seattle, take a bus up to Vancouver for the weekend, and then back to Seattle, fly across the New York to meet up with the rest of our friends, and then back to SF to catch our flight home.

Now though, we've decided to only fly from the West Coast to the East, meet our friends over there, and then back again to catch our flight home.

As excited as I am about a roadtrip, I'm slightly overwhelmed by the idea as well. There's so much planning to do, and so many things to take into account.

1) I'd really like for the few days we spend in Vancouver to be over a weekend, so that my boyfriend won't be crazy busy with work and can actually hang out.

2) My best friend really wants to spend a couple of days in Vegas, because she's convinced she's going to hit the jackpot and come away with loads of cash to go on a massive shopping spree once we hit the East Coast.

3) Now that we're driving, I'd love to be able to stop in at places along the way. With the initial plan of flying everywhere, we were going to spend a couple of days in each city, but I'm the sorta traveler who likes to just see and do as much as possible.

It doesn't really matter to us whether we make our way from the bottom up, or the top down, because as far as we can tell, it doesn't make much of a difference price-wise.

I can't figure out whether it makes sense to start driving the day we reach SF, or if we should fly up to Seattle, do that and Vancouver by train/bus, and then start driving downwards.

On top of all that, I'll be the only one driving for the majority of the trip. My friend hates driving, and will only do it on long straight stretches. I on the other hand, love being behind the wheel, but, I've never driven in winter conditions, not even mild ones (I am, however, thoroughly conditioned to driving in tropical storms) and I've never tried my hand at a left hand drive.

Advice would be immensely appreciated, especially on things we may be overlooking like problems in getting a rental car across the US-Canada border, or what time of the day it would make sense to set off at, and which routes to take to get the most out of our drive.

As of now, we've pretty much got a clean slate. We haven't booked our West to East & back flights yet, because we don't know which city we'll be flying out of. We do need to hurry up on it though, before things start getting sold out and prices skyrocket. Us poor college students are busting the bank as it is on this trip ;)
    Last edited by nesarcy; 09-10-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Found that my questions had been answered in other threads

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by nesarcy View Post
    EDIT: Eeks. Now that I've had some time to go through the other threads more leisurely, I can see that a lot of the questions I have, have already been asked, and answered.

I'll be going over the (millions of!) suggestions on things to do along the route, but a few things I haven't been able to find discussed so far:

1) Would it make sense to drive from SF, to Seattle, Vancouver BC, and then back down to LA and Vegas (within 13 to 14 days, but spending a couple of days each in Vancouver and Vegas); or should we fly to Seattle, take the train to and from Vancouver, and then do the drive from Seattle downwards (only about 7 days, but we'd already have covered Seattle and Vancouver), OR, should we fly to Vegas, and then drive all the way up (about 9 days after having covered Vegas)?
    I think the last option makes the most sense, and gives you the best amount of time in each location, though this would add the additional expense of a one-way car rental, which is more than returning the car to the original rental location. However, it appears that each route you've planned has this problem, so, is it a problem?

2) Just how much of a pain will driving be, given the weather in mid-December?
    I will leave this to our members more familiar with the area.

3) I guess this is kind of related to the first question, but rental car across the border - yay or nay?
    I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think that any of the rental agencies even allow it, and since they're all using GPS locators on their cars, they'll definitely know where you've been.

I guess I should also mention that my best friend's all about the shopping and celebrity sightings, and I have a ridiculous fascination for bookstores. Museums and monuments are great in small doses, but we're really more about just soaking in the feel of a place, and hunting out it's inherent quirkiness.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-10-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed format

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome =)

I'd love to cut down costs by making it a round trip - getting a round trip flight to New York from SF would probably be much cheaper too. But I just don't see how we can manage to do and see everything we've got our hearts set on if we've got to drive up AND down. Since our initial plans were made with flying in mind, we hadn't factored in quite as much time for travel between cities.

I did contemplate making the return by a different route, and tossing our initial plans out of the window and just taking things as they come.. but I don't think we'd enjoy ourselves as much if we're worrying about getting the car back on time. I'd probably end up rushing parts of the trip because I got worried that we were falling behind schedule.

Although, if it really is workable with a good margin of error, I'd still love to try extending the road trip for the entire time we're in the west.

Default Celebrities?

I think either going north-to-south or vice-versa will work just fine. I suppose I'd choose whichever route allowed me to spend more time with the boyfriend, based on the timing in Vancouver.

You shouldn't have any problem driving the interstates in December. There's a small potential for some ice in the mornings but traffic will usually take care of that by mid-morning. So, if the temp drops and you're worried about ice, check the local news to see if they report a problem before leaving your hotel. If there's a bit of ice, just eat a leisurely breakfast and leave a bit later. 99% of the time, that will take care of any ice problem throughout the areas you're traveling. Now, once in a blue moon, we get a cold streak that can cause more ice than that and maybe even a bit of snow, but that's fairly rare and we can go whole winters without it happening at all.

The only mountain pass you will be traveling over is the Siskiyou Pass at roughly the Oregon/California border. This will normally be fine, too, and the same general recommendations apply as stated above. But you might want to watch the weather and traffic reports a bit more closely the night before and morning of the day you will be crossing it just to be sure.

Outside of maybe Las Vegas and the LA area...and, even there, it's probably not all that common of to see them...your friend isn't gonna have much chance of seeing celebrities in most of the areas you're traveling. Just so ya know...I wouldn't want her to be disappointed.

5. Default

Thanks Judy!

It's a relief to hear about the lack of ice.. I'm prepared to deal with a little of course, but I don't think I'd be able to tackle that all day everyday.. which is the main reason we're not driving once we hit the East Coast.

And.. I have warned her about the low low probability of spotting anyone famous, but she's optimistic. Grin.

Default Glad to help

Please note that I did say there was potential for ice. I can't guarantee you won't find it but, for the most part, it's not going to stay on the interstates long once traffic gets going and melts it off.

One thing you might want to be aware of is something we call black ice. Black ice is a very thin veneer of ice that you can't see...hence, the name, I guess. It's possible to hit this in areas that don't have very much traffic and don't get much sun....like in dips surrounded by trees. You shouldn't have any problem with this on the interstates but you might find it if you travel some of the lesser-traveled 2-lane roads. Just an FYI.

ETA: The most important thing to remember when traveling on roads that might have ice or any other kinda of driving hazard is to adjust your driving speed. For example, I've traveled a lot on roads with black ice, or regular ice, when I have seen other cars in the ditch but I've never gone into one myself. I drive slower and more carefully, especially on curves. So, even if you hit some of this stuff, just slow down and you should be fine.