Default road trip in snow

hi folks,

i'm new to roadtrips. i'm planning on travelling from Mountain View, CA to las vegas , if possible extend it to grand canyon in the month of January 2009. i know there are a lot of threads on this travel.
    1. i'm not sure if there are threads for Vegas to Gran canyon travel
    2. i NEVER EVER drove in snow before. is this a dangerous time to travel? any specific precautions to take? or am i being stupid planning to travel during christmas time , (from Dec 24 - Jan 5 ) the cold month.
    3. i have around 11 days.

Please advise. I'm little tensed. thanks a lot for your help

Default Many threads

Quote Originally Posted by aryank2000 View Post
    hi folks,
    1. i'm not sure if there are threads for Vegas to Gran canyon travel
    This is one of the more popular routes on this forum (I'd say the area in general makes up a majority of threads on this site) - a quick search should reward you with many, many threads.

2. i NEVER EVER drove in snow before. is this a dangerous time to travel? any specific precautions to take? or am i being stupid planning to travel during christmas time , (from Dec 24 - Jan 5 ) the cold month.
    I would guess that traffic would be heavier than normal, but while this may make the trip take longer, it also offers some security in the fact that there will be more people around to help out should there be an emergency. The chances of a good Samaritan being in the crowd will at least increase.

Driving in snow is a skill to be sure; here is a link to some helpful information.

3. i have around 11 days.

Please advise. I'm little tensed. thanks a lot for your help
    You've started planning early enough so that you can get your plans all set long before you go. Hopefully that tension will turn into excitement.

thanks a lot for your reply. i realise there are many threads regarding this trip. any specific thread about trips in december (winter time)?

also, can you please suggest me any good travel/trip planners online? thank you

Default Here are some of our recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by aryank2000 View Post
    also, can you please suggest me any good travel/trip planners online? thank you
    We need to update these listings, but this will provide some good information about some of the free online planners.

Mark