1. Default British under 25's renting a car - cheapest please?

Hi all,

i am travelling with my boyfriend in may - we are planning to do a whole round trip miami - miami within 90 days.

We want to rent a car for the entire time and because were going back to miami no drop off fee is needed.

I have found some cheap deals but becasue we are both under 25 (me = 22 him = 23) a lot of companies are charging round about $25 extra a day!!!!

This is breaking our budget!

Does anyone know or has used a car rental company that young driver friendly?? - we are desperate to find a good deal.

appreciate any help

2. Default

Unfortunately it seems pretty unavoidable, at least thats what I found. I'd be interested to know if you have any luck

South of England.

Default " The norm"

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

I am afraid this is the normal approach, and it has come up on here a few times, but I do not recall anybody coming up with a "Young driver friendly" alternative. All I can suggest is you keep searching for the best value deals.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-05-2008 at 05:41 AM. Reason: typo

If I remember rightly from reading the t&c's for motorhome rental I don't think there's a charge for being under 25 or for additional drivers.
    I'm not 100% sure but it could be one option to look into.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Maybe, but it is never a "cheap" alternative

I don't remember if there is such a clause either -- but the daily expenses of renting a RV typically start at nearly $200 per day, so the $25 per day surcharge on a $75/day rental car starts looking pretty cheap compared to a RV rental....

South of England.

Default Or maybe not

Taken from one of the big 2 R.V. rental companies,so i would imagine it's par for the course.

Driver Requirements
    Qualified drivers 25 years of age or older possessing a valid and identifiable driver's license. Authorized operators 21-24 years of age may drive motorhome subject to a $25/day fee. A major credit card and references, employment, or a foreign passport are required as identification prior to rental and will be verified. All drivers must be listed on and sign the Rental Agreement and will be bound by Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement at vehicle pickup. Back to top

Green County, Wisconsin

Default I'd be surprised

If there was no language in the contract about an extra fee for under 25 drivers, it was probably be because the company wouldn't allow anyone under that age to rent even with a surcharge.

Of course, every company is different. I did a quick search, and while most places I saw didn't allow under 25 RV rentals, Cruise America did say that they would allow it, but they too charge $25 per day.

8. Default

Well thanks for all your help - looks like were just going to have to save up more money!!

the RV rental looked tempting but as it is just the two of us we figured a car would force us to stay in hostels and campsites which would make it far more sociaallable and give us a change of scenery!

Thanks again -

i found this today while looking for the cheapest quote, as im in the same boat looking for a car to hire. ill only be 23 when i go, if i go next year. usrentacar the part from Usave would be brilliant, as i could quite easily start in florida, but it says Usave aren't booking, whether thats for good or just for the moment, no idea, the other way is through budget, something called a YDP, it means you pay something extra up front, and you dont pay the young driver surcharge. it seems expensive, something like £600, but as ill be gone for 3 months, it seemed to be working out cheaper than quotes i was getting from normal rental companies and then adding $25 a day on top.

what do you think of this?
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-09-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: preferred link format

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Sounds good

You might try googling around to see if anybody has any complaints about this program but, in general, if the math works out cheaper, it's probably a better deal for you. I can't vouch for the company offering it as I'm unfamiliar with them.