Thread: NY-La in 7 days

1. Default NY-La in 7 days

Hi, I will be making a trip to La from NYC next week, with a friend of mine. i have 8 days to do it until i fly back. We will be driving my friends car and then plan on leaving it in cali.

my "request"/ favor to you guys is if you can tell me how YOU would do this trip leaving some time for sight seeing. so name the places you would stop and check out/ routes you might suggest for a scenic drive. the only thing i guess i really wanna make sure is on my list to see is the grand canyon, and drop by vegas.
    I greatly appreciate it.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default if it were me

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd plan on the drive itself to take 5 days, so you've got about 3 days to work with.

Since you're already planning to stop at the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas, I'd probably expect to spend at a day at each place. I'd probably take a route using I-70 to St. Louis, I-44 and I-40 across to Arizona. With the one extra day, I think I would just allow myself to stop and enjoy things along the way. I'd certainly spend some time at the St. Louis arch, and plan to spend a fair amount of time stopping at Route 66 attractions along the way.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Agreed, and I might add...

...we generally recommend driving no more than 500-550 miles per day in order to cover miles but have a bit of time for sightseeing. Your trip is roughly 2800. This is about 5.5-6 days of traveling, leaving you only 2 days for exploring. Traveling 500 miles/day roughly translates to about 9-9.5 miles on the road each day. This includes time for short stops for fuel/food/bio breaks. So, you will have time to sightsee on travel days but it will be limited.

So this is all do-able and you should have a fun trip but you will need to maintain this pace if you want to have a day at Grand Canyon and another day in Vegas. So just make sure you plan accordingly.

Have a great trip!

4. Default Advice

Any Advice where to stop of and what to see in between driving? And would it be smart or not functional to stop by the grand canyon if we only have 5 days to drive to cali and 2 days left for sight seeing in cali

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Priorities

If you want to spend 2 days in california, you'd still have time for a quick stop at the grand canyon. However, at that point, you'd really eliminate time for much else in your trip. If those things are your biggest priority, then that's what you should focus on.