1. Default New York - Miami, or vice versa..

Well basically, a friend and myself, hailing from Cheltenham, UK (round of applause :D) intend on doing the American classic Atlantic Coast road trip next summer, spread out over a period of 5 weeks, give or take a week, depending on how the funds figure out. Commencing the end of June and ending Early August. Our chosen method of transport would be some sort of camper, as we would like to rough it out and put some hair on our chests. My aim is mainly the Florida region, and hers is New York.

Anyway, what im asking is for help.. with practically everything!

Main areas of concern are:

1. Renting a vehicle. Availabily. Price. MPG. Stuff like that..

2. Accommodation. Well we're mainly hoping to use the camper, but will stay at various motels on the road to freshen up.. what are the prices of these Oasis' amongst deserts? Where are those precious gems between arrival and departure?

3. How much will the trip cost between us. I'm aiming to save up about £3,500 which will be converted into American $$. We will split the petrol, and the rest will be our own personal expenditure for supplies/motels/buying things. Will this be enough? My companion is at University at the moment, so will be bringing less to spend. Im guessing we'll have $10,000 between us the whole trip.

4. The big one.. Attractions! What would you recommend we stop and see. My colleague is happy as long as she gets to go to New York again (a place where she calls home). Places on my list include - Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Centre, Fort Lauderdale. So anywhere else between here and NY you would emphasise on us seeing? All suggestions are welcome! (i would like to learn how to surf so some beaches would be nice :D)

5. We plan to stay in New York for a extended period of time. (approx 10 days) are there places we can park the camper for a couple of nights, or are motels reasonably cheap? if so, on estimate.. how much?

Im sorry to be such a useless inconvenience. All help though is greatly appreciated! And if i come across any of you whilst im over in the U.S, im buying you a drink!

Many Thanks!
    Last edited by LuisJoseMarquez; 09-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Default Transportation choices

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd suggest you check out our How to Rent an RV article for an excellent overview of what is available if you chose to go the camper route for your trip.

What I'm not quite sure I understand is why you are going with a camper based on some of your plans. An RV really has all of the comforts of a home on wheels, so I don't know why you'd want to stop at motels. Its really not roughing it these days, and will likely cost a fair bit more than renting a standard car and staying in motels.

The other thing is that an RV isn't going to be very practical in NYC. I believe there may be a couple of RV parks in New Jersey where you would be able to take a train into New York fairly easily, however when you factor in the cost of an RV park as well as the additional days of renting the RV, I think it would make a lot more sense just to drop of the RV when you arrive in NYC. New York is one of the few US cities where you really don't need a car, so I wouldn't waste the money paying for a rental you don't need.

3. Default

By RV do you mean one of those huuuge mobile home things?? if so, my bad dude sorry! i meant a smaller, kind of hippy van style thing.. or something along those lines..

Default Size doesn't matter

Even a smaller "hippie van style thing" is an unnecessary expense during 10 days in NYC. It would only make sense if you are going to stay in it during your time in NYC. And there are very limited RV parks in/near NYC. I would suggest not renting it during your time there. Save that money and put it toward your NYC hotel.

1. Renting a vehicle. Availabily. Price. MPG. Stuff like that..
    How old are you? If you're both under age 25, there is going to be additional expenses. Availability is not an issue as long you can pay the price. The best way to get an idea of costs is to visit the websites of the major rental agencies and see what you come up with. Length of rental, pick-up/drop-off location, type of vehicle, dates, etc. all play a part in determining the cost so it is virtually impossible for us to give you an estimate. It will cost for more to rent a camper van than it will to rent a car.

2. Accommodation. Well we're mainly hoping to use the camper, but will stay at various motels on the road to freshen up.. what are the prices of these Oasis' amongst deserts? Where are those precious gems between arrival and departure?
    In general, camping will cost you about $20-25/night. Mid-range hotels will generally run you about $60-100/night depending on location. Many campgrounds are like mini-resorts with showers, pools, hot tubs, etc. You really don't need to stay in a hotel to freshen up. Some national/state park campgrounds don't have showers but they are becoming increasingly rare.

3. How much will the trip cost between us. I'm aiming to save up about £3,500 which will be converted into American $$. We will split the petrol, and the rest will be our own personal expenditure for supplies/motels/buying things. Will this be enough? My companion is at University at the moment, so will be bringing less to spend. Im guessing we'll have $10,000 between us the whole trip.
    Check out the tips in this post to help you develop your budget.

4. The big one.. Attractions! What would you recommend we stop and see. My colleague is happy as long as she gets to go to New York again (a place where she calls home). Places on my list include - Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Centre, Fort Lauderdale. So anywhere else between here and NY you would emphasise on us seeing? All suggestions are welcome! (i would like to learn how to surf so some beaches would be nice :D)

You should use the search tool (green bar above) to find other discussions about these areas. It would help us give you tips if we had a better idea of the types of places you were looking for (besides beaches).

5. We plan to stay in New York for a extended period of time. (approx 10 days) are there places we can park the camper for a couple of nights, or are motels reasonably cheap? if so, on estimate.. how much?

Motels in NYC aren't reasonably cheap and camper parking is going to be limited and expensive as well. I suggest you spend some time at a motel reservation website like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, etc. to get an idea of the cost of hotels. When we sent my son and his friend to NYC as a graduation gift, the cheapest hotel that we could find that still seemed safe was about $150/night. But that was three years ago so I'm sure prices have gone up from there.

5. Default

thank you for the advice :) we'll most definelty drop off the vehicle whilst in NY and find somewhere else to stay such as a motel or hostel. $150 per night, is that between 2, or each?

xx

Default $150 between the two

Quote Originally Posted by LuisJoseMarquez View Post
    thank you for the advice :) we'll most definelty drop off the vehicle whilst in NY and find somewhere else to stay such as a motel or hostel. $150 per night, is that between 2, or each?

xx
    Remember, that was 3 years ago so prices have probably gone up. I can't find my info on the particular hotel. It was near Times Square so it was in a good location. It was very shabby but clean enough for two young men. There were no private bathrooms as they were shared with several other rooms. You're not gonna get anything fancy for under $200 in NYC.

The economical hotels in NYC do tend to fill up fast so you should be getting your reservations in as soon as you find a place that meets your needs.

7. Default

okies cool cool cool thank you :) as long as theres a bed and a bathroom with running water im not too fussed on the conditions tbh. oh and security. but i hope i could handle any trouble makers :D

xx