1. Default Yosemite to Death Valley via Bristlecone Pines

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster.

Heading from Yosemite to Furnace Creek and stopping at the Bristlecone pines on the way.

What would be the most scenic route to furnace creek from the Bristlecone pines?

Looks like there are two choices.

1) back to Big Pine and then continue down the 395 or

2) continue across to the 95 and come into Death Valley on the 267

In total the trip starts at San Francisco, two nights in Yosemite, one night at Furnace Creek, One night in Vegas, two nights at the grand canyon, two more nights in vegas, four nights at anaheim, then two days to get back to San Francisco, with a couple of days there before flying to Hawaii for some rest before heading back to Australia. Leaving here on Sunday morning, hows that for last minute planning LOL

Thanks for your help

Default I Think You'll Find...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...that the route down US-395 through Lone Pine and into Death Valley from the west is the more scenic of the two options. But on the other hand , coming in via US-95/NV-267 will take you right by Scotty's Castle, a worthwhile stop. As with any trip there are choices not 'bests'. In this case, I'd probably use US-395 and then head up to Scotty's Castle through the park.

AZBuck

Default Do you like to let the engines roar?

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Long time lurker first time poster.
    It's always great when a long-term lurker steps up and gets noticed -- thanks!
    What would be the most scenic route to furnace creek from the Bristlecone pines?
    AZBuck's advice is sound (above), but if you wanted an alternative -- here is why I REALLY like the road to Lida Junction..
    2) continue across to the 95 and come into Death Valley on the 267
    The NV-267 approach is kind of cool because you have a long descent into the valley -- it isn't as dramatic as the approach through the Darwin hills (entering from US-395) but it's still fun. Here is a tall tale about Death Valley Scotty you might enjoy.

Mark

4. Default

Thanks guys sounds like the 395 will be my route of choice. Might make a call on the day and see if I have time and energy to vist the racetrack playa, seems like a fair diversion though.

Maybe I should just learn to fly a helicopter ;-)

There must be a forum for that as well LOL

Default Not on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    Might make a call on the day and see if I have time and energy to vist the racetrack playa,
    A visit to the Racetrack Playa requires a full day if you were starting from Furnace Creek or Las Vegas -- you can't add it in to your drive from Yosemite. Plus, you need a sturdy vehicle to make it out the playa -- the road is not hard to drive -- but it is rough and littered with tire-eating rocks.

Mark