1. Default San Fran- Vegas Jan 09

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling from the UK from 15-24th Jan to San Fran, wondering how long it takes to do all the sights there? We would also like to visit vegas and grand canyon! could someone please tell me what would be best? driving to vegas and flying back, wondering what the weather will be like for driving conditions and any ideas of routes, would like to get in a much as possible but as i am only 22 and we need to rent a car my b/friend would have to do all the driving so need to have a sensible amount of driving a day! any hints would be gratefully appreciated as i have no idea of this area but found a bargain flight that could not be missed! thanks

South of England.

Default Unpredictable at best.

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

Travelling at this time of year throws up the risk of snow, ice and storms at any time, but by sticking to Interstates you will reduce the risk of disruption.
    The quickest route would be I-80 and I-580 out of San fran and then I-5 south. Exit the I-5 to Bakersfield on I-58 and at Barstow you hook up with either I-15 to Vegas or I-40 to Williams for the Grand canyon south rim [the north rim will be closed]. It would be recommended to take an overnight stop around the Bakersfield area before heading on.

You will need layered clothing for all occasions, San fran can be very wet but also have crispy clear days [ideal if you wanted to travel down the coast a way before hitting the Interstate]. Vegas can be relatively mild in the day and cold at night. The South rim cold and below freezing almost certainly by nightfall and expect ice and snow and possible road closures.
    I am not sure whether you mean fly out of Vegas for home or back to San Fran? Flying home from there would allow you more time in places and less travelling,If you mean back to San Fran, I'm not to sure tbh, but it would incur extra costs for a one way car rental.

The Alcatraz tour in San Fran I would recommend for sure.