1. Default South Eastern States: Jan 09

Hi All,

We are getting into Orlando early-mid January, with my dad flying from Australia and my girlfriend and I from Calgary, Canada. None of us have been to this part of the world before and I've been given the task of organizing things so am looking for some advice on the rough plan I've come up with. We plan to fly from Miami to New Orleans to save time.
    Interested in Civil War sights, food, drink and relaxing.

Week 1:
    Orlando-Key West-Miami
    Is driving from Orlando to Key West straight through possiable? Or should we look at somewhere to stop along the way?

New Orleans-Montgomery-Atlanta-Orlando
    Is Montgomery a good place to stop along the way from NO - Atlanta? Or is there another city that would hold more interest?

Any suggestions/advice would be great as we hope to book a lot of hotels before we leave. I have looked at driving times but the main objective of this trip is spending time together and with at least 2 of us sharing the driving the distances arent to much of a concern more what we can see along the way.

Thanks in Advance.

Tucson, AZ

Default Stops Along the Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I suppose it would be just possible to make the drive straight through from Orlando to Key West, but a couple of things argue against it. Mainly the last quarter to third of it is over a series of causeways and small islands. This will be slow going particularly if traffic is bad (quite likely in January). Trying to do this in one fell swoop wouldn't leave you any time to explore any of the keys you'll be passing on the way. I think I'd look at pulling up at the southern end of the Miami area and finishing the drive in a relaxed manner the next day.

Montgomery would be a fine stopping point, but I'm not that familiar with it. I did make a stopover in Selma a few years ago and had a great time visiting its ante-bellum homes and the nearby Old Cahawba site. Just a thought Some other places along that New Orleans - Atlanta - Orlando drive you might want to consider visiting are Mobile Bay, Callaway Gardens, FDR's Little White House (Warm Springs), Andersonville, and St. Augustine.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-29-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Keys Driving

Plus, the 100 mile drive through the Keys is one of the most beautiful anywhere. It takes quite awhile.

We like to stop at the Caribbean Club in Key Largo once we get into the keys. This is where the famous movie Key Largo was filmed.

Plus, look for the Key Deer in Big Pine Key and check out the No-Name Pub there as well.

4. Default Possible but don't

1. Driving from Orlando to Key West is possible but man that is a long day!
    I would suggest driving to Homestead (nothing there but you want to see the Keys in the daylight and this will give you the following day to drive to Key West so you don't miss one beautiful thing!) Stops along the way John Pennekamp State Park (snorkeling, glass bottom boat tour) in Key Largo, three-mile bridge (I think that is the name) outside Marathon. Get out and walk at least a portion of it, we saw some great sea-life when we did this. Further down is Bahia Honda state park, worth a stop if the seaweed is not knee high. If so, avoid it because the smell will keep you away. Once you get to Key West, put on your flip-flops and mozey up to a bar and order a margarita, you're in Jimmy Buffett country now. See the Southernmost Point and make arrangements for a boat trip to the Dry Tortugas (that will take up 1/2 to a full day depending on which trip you do.) You won't find your traditional "walking" beaches here so don't expect that. Small expanses of sand with room for spreading your blanket and that's about it. There is a great fort there. We had been to KW several times and decided to check out some different sites and this one proved to be interesting. Can't remember the name but it's the only one there so you can't miss it.
    2. Montgomery is a fine place to stop as good as any through there. Although, since you mentioned the civil war outside of Atlanta is Stone Mountain, GA. This would be a little bit of a eastern detour but not far from Atlanta. It is a theme park but there is a great carving on the mountain of civil war heroes, which they do a laser light show on at night. It's been a while since I was there but I remember it being nice. They have a website. Check it out to see if it looks like something that would interest you.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

5. Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for posting comments and suggestions, ive taken them all into consideration and finding more info.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default The Hostess City

If you could squeeze Savannah in your trip it would be even better. It is one of the best destinations in the south east as far as I'm concern. There's fun for everyone : architecture, food, people, beach, shopping, history, parks & gardens, guided tours, great nightlife, etc.

Keithville, LA

Default Civil War Sites

Since you're already going to be in New Orleans and heading towards I-20 into Atlanta may I suggest visiting Vicksburg, Mississippi. The siege there lasted a long time and there is a National Park detailing the actual battle. Also Natchez, Mississippi still has a lot of the Antebellum South standing. In both places you can stand on the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River and get a good feel for how that area of the country looked before the Civil War.

From Natchez you can catch the Natchez Trace Parkway or take part of the Great River Road. I took the Natchez Trace to the Great River road to get from Natchez to Vicksburg during this trip.

I hope this helps you out some.