1. Default 2 young 24 year old guys driving from boston to san diego...what should we do?

I am moving to San Diego CA Sept 14th from Boston MA and I think it would be a great excuse to get out there and see some of this country. I am definately on a budget, and time is a factor! I probably wont have extra time or money to spend touring whatever cities we decide to stop at, but I do want to make the most out of this trip.

We were thinking we would do this:

Boston to Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach to Atlanta

Atlanta to New Orleans

New Orleans to Austin

Austin to Phoenix

Phoenix to San Diego

So tats our rough idea, it is definitely open for change though! Does anyone have any suggestions or any ideas on how to make this trip fun and memorable for a couple of 24 year old guys?

Thanks so much!

South of England.

Default Quite an adventure!

Hello and welcome to R.T.A.

We would need to know a bit more to help you. How much time can you spend on this trip, your interests e.t.c..
    I am not sure if your itinerary is set out for your overnight stops or not. Your first few days average between 470 and 580 miles which is fine but won't leave you much free time. The Austin to Phoenix is over a thousand miles so you would be looking to break this up, but stopping sooner and heading onto San diego still leaves you around 1400 miles to cover in 2 days if this is so.

Let us in on a little more info and maybe we can help.

In the meantime these links may help you reccommended mileage. saving money by eating out of a cooler If you're on a real tight budget or would rather spend your money elsewhere then you could consider a couple of nights sleeping in the car

3. Default

Thanks for the links! I was planning on packing a cooler and that just reminded me of a few things I need to bring!

I think we plan on spending the night at each location. We would like to try and arrive at a decent time in each city and be able to go out an experiance the city and its night life for a few hours before bed.

I am not sure what to do with the Austin to Phoenix trip. It is definitely a lot of driving, and it will probably need to be adjusted.

I would like to be able to do this trip in a way that is quick, cost effective and still allows us to experience the cities we will be visiting. I would hate to drive cross country only to be too rushed to enjoy it.