Default New to Forum - advice needed!

We are a family of 8 (mum, dad, 6 kids aged 18 yrs - 2 yrs) planning a trip to USA next Summer. We want to spend 4 weeks and intend visiting English friends near Provo for some of it. Also maybe my husband's sister in Las Vegas... Is it viable to fly to California and travel up and over to Utah then down to Las Vegas and back to California?? We haven't yet booked flights and are flexible on where we fly to. As a teenager I flew to LA, drove through California, Oregon and Washington and onto Utah and loved it. We want to see some National Parks and would love recommendations on what we must see. Planning is in its infancy so all ideas are welcomed. Hope this isn't too vague!

Default your trip to USA next summer

Hi there

just saw your post.

I can't and won't attempt to cover all your areas of interest, but to say, I have just returned from California and Vegas after 3 1/2 weeks touring with wife and 16yr daughter

some points you may wish to consider

We did L vegas , to Sequoia Nat Park, ( via Death Valley) to San Fran, to Monterey, via Highway 1, to L.A, to Palm Springs ( Joshua tree nat park, back to L V - and covered 2200 miles.

we were not travelling everyday, and in deed did have a number of rest days nad tourist activities, but - it can be done.

I would certainly recommend Sequoia Nat park, and can offer some good B+B recommendation ? the sight of the Sequoia trees were fantastic, though the road does rise to circa 7000 above sea level, and walking around the park, you can get breathless.

I understand that Yosemite ,gets pretty busy during July/Aug each year, so we decided against it - it was a good decision as there were forest fires too.

South of LA, 2 hour drive is Palm Springs, and very close Joshua Tree national park. A good day out if extremly hot , but well worth it

We did drive from L Vegas to Sequioa via Death Valley - this was a long drive, but the landscape was amazing , in particular certain "vista points" to view the valley - again extrmely hot though 118f when we were there.

if you are going to Vegas, a good easy trip 17miles, is to Red Rock Canyon, another park with fantastic landscape, rock, walk, climbing etc

trust this helps, enjoy your planning and your trip when it arrives

Default Lots to see !

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A forums.

Is it viable to fly to California and travel up and over to Utah then down to Las Vegas and back to California??
    Most definitely, some of the best National parks can be seen in Utah, Arizona and California.
    You could visit parks such as Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, Capitol reef, Grand canyon, Sequoias and many more. It would be possible to create a loop, starting and finishing from the same place or doing a one way trip, such as fly in San Fran and leave from Vegas. [as an example].

We want to see some National Parks and would love recommendations on what we must see.
    Here's the N.P.S site which is easy to navigate your way around and may give you some ideas as to what is most appealing to you. They're all splendid and we tend not to do "best" here as we will all have different ideas.

The forums offer lots of info and here are some great links to get you started.

When you have a better picture come back and we can help you piece it all together,