jayme1545 Guest

Default Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes

I'm new to this forum, but have reviewed many of the posts about this trip and still have a few questions.

First, here are our plans. My husband and I are flying into Las Vegas on 9/16 in the morning and plan to drive to Avenal, CA to visit family. We know this will be a long drive and are prepared to stop if we need to, but would like not to. We plan to go the southern route through Bakersfield. Any quick stops or restaurants along the way that we shouldn't miss?

We then will spend the next day with family, possibly driving over to Herst Castle or Morro Bay.

9/18 we will drive up to family's cabin in Fish Camp and explore Yosemite from there. Any good short trips based out of Fish Camp that would not be into Yosemite?

We'd like to drive across Yosemite via the Tioga Pass on either Saturday or Sunday, spending the night either near Mono/Mammoth Lakes. This has been a stumbling point for me- any good recommendations on where to stay? Do you think we should spend one or two nights here or maximize our time in Fish Camp? One note is that Sunday, 9/21 is our one year wedding anniversary so we'd like to stay in a little nicer place that night.

Depending on recommendations about lodging, we'll either return to Las Vegas on Sunday or Monday and fly out on Tuesday.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Tucson, AZ

Default Take It Easy

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

At around 400 miles, the drive from Las Vegas to Avenal would take the better part of a normal day. Since you're going to be making a flight for the first part of the day this may, as you suspect, prove to be too much for one day. I wouldn't plan on trying to see anything on the first day, just get yourself to a good resting place. Trying to push things on the first day of a vacation would just tire you out. Relax.

I'm not going to be a lot of help on the specifics of exactly where to stay/eat/hike in that area. It's still on my wish list for the most part.