I have been recommended to post over here from the MoneySavingExpert.com forums as there is a wealth of knowledge.
Basically we are booked to travel from Manchester UK - San Fran and back from 29th April 2009 until 14th May 2009. Flights Done!
We have grafted out a itinery inbetween that we think is pretty good but wandered if anyone could give any local advice or knowledge!
The idea is as follows:
1) Fly to San Fran @ 17:00 Pick up Car and Stay @ Family near San Fran
2) Drive to Napa Valley (3hrs)
Stay in Calistoga (suggested as a good base??)
3) Stay in Napa Valley/Calistoga
4) Drive to Mariposa/Yosemite (3hrs) - Be Told the Blue Butterfly Inn is lovely
Stay in Mariposa/Yosemite
5) Stay in Mariposa/Yosemite - Blue Butterly Inn
6) Drive to Death Valley (7hrs) - Hear is a problem though - the Tioga Pass Road will likely be shut very early May? What is the best way round from Yosemite to Death Valley? Via the North Road presumably? Any adivce?
Stay in Death Valley - Probably Furnace Creek??
7) Drive to Vegas (3hrs)
Stay in Vegas and Ditch the Car
8) Stay in Vegas
9) Stay in Vegas
10) Fly out of Vegas to LA - Pick up Car
Stay in LA Near Universal Studios
11) Universal Studios Theme Park
Stay in LA
12) Six Flags theme Park
Stay in LA
13) Travel to Palm Desert
Stay in Palm Desert
14) Travel to San Diego
Saty in San Diego
15) Stay in San Diego
16) Fly from San Diego to San Francisco early morning for flights booked from San Francisco to Manchester (unfortuantly San Fran home trip is already booked so can't change it to San Diego - Manc)
any advice people could give.....
We have alreayd done the GC and Vegas before (loved it) and the hoover dam, and Alcatraz and all down the coast until Monteray and Carmel.