1. Default LA to Chicago in a small car

Hi there. I am new here and very glad ot have found this site. I, along with my wife and three cats, are relocating to Chicago in a week's time. We have a professional moving service doing the bulk of the move for us but I don't want to leave the car behind and we have decided to drive it across country. It is a small coupe but reliable.

I have about 5 days to do the trip more if necessary but I would like to strike a medium between getting there promptly but also having the option of some scenic/romantic stops along the way. It's not often you cross a huge country like this and it seems a shame not to take the opportunity to check it out a little.

So any advice would be greatly welcome on the best route to take. I think I would like to take a flat route because I worry about the strain of steep mountain passes but I am likely over reacting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tucson, AZ

Default Define Romantic

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Five days is about right for a relaxed drive from Los Angeles to Chicago. You could always find ways to spend more time, but it's not really necessary. Which brings us to what you mean by 'romantic'. In my experience it just means having the time to pay attention to your partner and do things that you both enjoy. There are certainly great venues along your route (basically I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80) with natural beauty and the chance to hike, learn some history, experience different life styles, and generally slow down. Initially spectacular scenery is the main attraction with Zion, Bryce Canyon and Arches National Parks and the drive across the San Rafael Swell into Colorado. East of Colorado, you're out onto the plains and following the Platte River and the old Oregon Trail. And finally for a different way of life check out the Amana Colonies. But don't forget to just take time out for the quieter places along the way.

3. Default

Wow fantastic reply. Thank you so much.