1. Default Oregon to North Carolina

I will be moving across the country in October. Just wanted to find out what the weather conditions are on I-80 through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming. I will be driving a AWD 2007 Chevy Equinox. I have chains(cables). Are there usually delays this time of year? I have considered a more southerly route, but that would add a considerably amount of time and I will be driving alone.

Any comments/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Getting there

I would say there's a possibility of a delay almost anywhere on account of weather at any time of the year. It is too hard to tell this far ahead, however, what the weather is going to be like this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UNSeaBlu04 View Post
    I have chains(cables).
    Are you familiar with how to use these devices? It is good that you are prepared, and something that will help you be even more prepared is to have an alternate route plan in place should you encounter difficulties on the road. What did you have in mind for a more southerly route?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Not for you

I will be moving across the country in October.
    Heather, isn't this about your fourth cross-country trip in three years? Maybe Mass Tim's crystal ball can see something lurking in the weather department, but, generally driving weather in October is about as good as it ever is anywhere in the country. I've never seen snow in Wyoming in October (along I-80) -- it will be clear sailing -- If you stick to the Interstate highways, the only time you will use those cables is when you practice putting them on in the driveway before you leave. And I would recommend it -- it took me about 1.5 hours of messing around before I got the hang of using cables the first time I tried. Chains are actually far more intuitive -- but cables take up much less space and are easier to keep clean. I would recommend you get a strong nylon case to put them into, because you will never get them back into that nice, plastic case after you remove them.... (or at least I never could).

4. Default Yep that's me.

Mark - Been across the country a couple times now. NC to Montana and back in 2005. Flew out to Oregon last year and bought a car here. Now I have to get back to the east coast. I am in the U.S. Coast Guard now and will have training on the east coast, then who knows after that. I bought cables last year. I had to travel over a couple passes here in Oregon when I headed inland that require them and didn't end up needing them. I tested them out and they are really easy to use. You don't have to move the car and I managed to get them back in the case they came. It took me a while to find them though. My car has limited clearance in the wheel well because of the antilock brake and traction control systems. (I got these I will be checking them again to make sure the bands are still good. I-80 it is then. That seems like the quickest route.

Tim - I do understand weather will be weather. Just wanted to get an idea of what the norm is. For the southerly route I was thinking all the way down through CA. So far I have only seen San Fran from the airport and 101 Oregon to Eureka, CA. Then catching I-40. But the more I think about it, it just seems like it would take longer even though there isn't much difference in milage (3135 vs. 2919). 15 hours in the wrong direction on slow moving highways. It takes me about 2.5 hours to get 100 miles on the PCH. I don't wanna be averaging 40 MPH or less when I could be rolling on an interstate. I know that's how it will be getting to I-80 though oregon, but atleast I know in my mind I will be heading in the right direction! I might be heading to San Fran for a weekend before I leave anyway, so I will solve that problem.

Just found out I was going to be getting orders a couple days ago, so I still have a lot of planning to do. Not planning on doing any sight seeing besides what I can see from the car. This will be a point A to B kinda trip. I would rather get home and spend more time with my family before I have to leave again. I-80 it is then. That seems like the quickest route. It's gonna be a solo speed trip, but I can't wait!!

Default Elevations

Howdy Tar Heel,
    Though I live in Raleigh, I visit Utah regularly and have driven I-80 between the Great Salt Lake and Iowa a number of times.

I think it's safe to say that during October, you have few, if any, worries, and what worries there may be are related to elevation, where even the freak early heavy storm would affect only higher elevations.

I don't think there are any passes along I-80 in NV with elevations greater than about 6500'. In UT, Parley's Summit, some 20 miles E of Salt Lake City, tops out around 7500'. Parley's, and inner city SLC traffic, can be avoided by taking the I-215 beltway from near the SLC airport north to I-15, thence to I-84 east at Ogden, which then connects with I-80 around 20 miles up a gentle canyon grade. In WY, I doubt if any segments of I-80 are higher than 5000'.

In the very unlikely event a storm were to affect I-80, the greatest snow removal people and equipment on Earth will have those passes clear and moving in a matter of an hour or two, far less time then a lengthy detour.

Thanks for your service and have a safe trip.

6. Default No longer solo

Yay. My mom is going to fly out here to meet me and we are going to ride back together. She has a week off. Gonna add in a few stops. Crater Lake. I have been here almost a year and have taken for granted the fact that it is less than 5 hours away. Shame on me. I did go to the Oregon Caves National Monument last weekend through. I did the off trails tour. It was a blast and you get dirty too (bonus)! So the plan is: Crater Lake - Cheyenne, WY - Rocky Mtn Natl park - Denver, CO then maybe dropping to I-70 to St. Louis (might stick with I-80 - I took I-70 last time I crossed the country) then NC. I am sure there will be tons of stops. This will be my moms first cross country road trip. We will probably do about 500 miles a day. Still kind of a rough sketch. Don' really know what will happen til I hit the road.

7. Default I made it

Well I made it to North Carolina, then Virginia (my final destination). I left Brookings, OR to Medford, OR and picked up my mother at the airport. From there:
    Medford, OR – Crater Lake National Park – Winnemucca, NV
    Winnemucca, NV - Ft. Collins, CO
    Fort Collins, CO – Rocky Mtn. National Park – Salinas, KS
    Salinas, KS – Winchester, KY ( I think… I-64 somewhere east of St. Louis)
    Then from there… Winston Salem, NC

The Oregon Outback is awesome. There is absolutely nothing, but it is awesome.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Nice to hear!

The Oregon Outback is awesome. There is absolutely nothing, but it is awesome.
    Heather, glad to hear you made (again) safe and sound! I have long loved the Oregon Outback -- next time you will have to make time to stop here for a nice long soak!