Live in SW England, Work in Dubai, Travel in USA

Default First US Road Trip

Coming to the US from England next month to do my first road trip.

Heading from New York City to Niagara Falls then on to Boston before heading back to NYC to fly home.

Haven't got a huge amount of time to divert on the drive between these locations, what I'm really looking for is advice on which roads to take in order to see as much scenery as possible (I'm really keen to stay off the Interstates)

Also suggestions on where to stay for the 2 nights on the road (between NYC and Niagara and then between Niagara and Boston)

Look forward to suggestions.

If there's interest I'd be happy to do a daily blog on this site??

Default Competing Goals

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to cover the distances involved without making at least some use of the Interstates, given your time constraints. Still, I think you could find a route that allows you to use some Motorways and some 'A' Roads. One possibility would be to take I-80/I-380 from New York to Clarks Summit, PA (north of Scranton) and then use US-6 across northern Pennsylvania to Smethport. From there a short cut off on PA-46 up to Bradford would put you on US-219 north into the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. Somewhere around Salamanca/Allegany/Olean in the southern tier of New York would make a good stop if you get an early start out of New York City. For the drive to Boston you can just alternate between I-90 and US-20 as time and mood permit with an overnight in the Berkshires, say around Stockbridge/Lee/Lenox/Pittsfield. I think something along those lines should work out for you.

AZBuck

Live in SW England, Work in Dubai, Travel in USA

Was finally able to check your suggested route out on my US road atlas last night.
    What can I say..... looks perfect to me.

I shall program it into the sat nav and follow your suggestions almost to the letter.

Thanks for the help, don't know whether to blog the trip or is it done too often to be interesting?

Default All trips are individual experiences.

Hi There,

Thanks for the help, don't know whether to blog the trip or is it done too often to be interesting?
    We never get bored of hearing about other peoples adventures and sharing there journeys. We also have the "Road trip report" part of the forum where you can share your trip experiences that in the future could offer valuable info for other road trippers.

Have a great trip and we look forward to hearing about it!