1. Default Boston to San Fransico!

hello everyone

I am planning a road trip from Boston to Sanfransico in summer 09. mid june to mid July - ( 1 month in duration). I am a keen driver but have never been on a road trip so have some questions.

I can see that in a month i cant see the whole of the states -i will be with 3 other friends but i will be doing all the driving - so i am not sure how many miles i can expect to do in 4 weeks - i dont wanna be tired fromd riving all the time and would like to be able to spend a few days in the nice places -

I just have no idea what the best route would be. I would like to see the most states and also the different ones - dont want the whole journey to be the same - i want some of those wild west places and also some diner, route 66 kinda too.

I have been using the roadtripusa website to try and plan a route - what do people think about them - maybe try and do parts of them all?

Also what are the rules about camping - would people reccomend just finding a field and camping there or actually finding a proper campsite? how much to motels cost?

Any help would be great

thanks

Jed
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-18-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: link format

Default Pick Your Favorites

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

A few general suggestions to get you started on your planning. It sounds like this is going to be a one-way trip starting in Boston and ending in San Francisco. That leaves plenty of time to wander about quite a bit, since one could relatively easily drive the distance in a week. If, instead, this is to be a round trip returning to Boston, you still have plenty of time and can take two separate routes out and back. So rather than concentrating on routes at this point, I'd start by figuring out the places you all really want to see, then start connecting the dots. Usually that will let you clearly see which routes work and which sights will have to drop off your list of places to get to. Just remember that no place is an absolute 'must', there are only those destinations that you'll get to on this trip.

If you're the only driver and will be on the road for a month, then I wouldn't schedule much more than a total of 9,000 miles (~300 mi/day). That will give you time to take breaks, see things, and never get to the point where you're just sick of driving.

As far as camping goes, "just finding a field and camping there" will almost certainly mean that you are trespassing. Cheap enough (even free) camping is readily available in national, state and county parks as well as national forests that you are much better off finding a 'proper' campsite that will have water, showers, and other amenities. Campsites will, on average, run you about $20/night while motels will run anywhere from $40-80/night depending on location and scale.

AZBuck

3. Default Hey

Don't forget hostels, either. They can be simply places to rest your head, but on all the trips I have stayed in hostels they have become attractions in and of themselves. I have found them to be generally clean with good amenities and interesting people. I have had good luck in general with hostels.com but in the bigger cities some independent research can bring up some hostels not listed on hostels.com as well as cheaper rates.

4. Default

Thanks for your advice

I would be looking at doing a one way trip due to time and dont fancy driving loads each day. Also have found flights from london to boston and san fran to london for £420 for them both with BA which seems very good.

So camping anywhere is not an option - that is good to know - We are planning on notdoing much planning for where we stop/sleep. How easy is it to find a campsite/motel by just driving around?

Basically i am just not sure whether to go the high route through utah etc or to go down the east cost and through southern usa and back up the west coast? I would rather keep away from the very large towns due to parking and other high costs.

Is there a good list of camp sites and national, state and county parks as well as national forests so i can plan these into the routes. I have only ever been to NY and Miami before so dont really have they much experiance of middle america.

Finally i was thinking of bring a laptop with me so i can check places out on the move - we have 3G internet access card that plug into laptops to give you internet access where every you get Cell phone coverage. Is this availble in the sates? if so how much and can you get pay as you go. It would be very expsenive to bring a uk one over £7 per Mb.

Finally as we are looking at renting a car - any good websites/companies you would advise? I know there will be a one way fee built into the cost. We are looking at doing it in a Cheve Trailerblazer or somthing like that we can sleep in too. so far the best price for the 4 weeks is £900

Finally you mention the things/places we want to see- Well i guess there are not big attractions we want more - true america. It would be more a collection of all the little things we want.

Sorry i cant be more precise as we still in the planning stages of this.

Anymore help would be great.

Default National parks pass!

Hi there.
    Here's a link to campgrounds in the gov. recreation areas and here's the guide to all the National parks.

You will see on the left hand edge of the page details about an annual pass, and if you are going to visit a few then it's well worth getting, it allows access to every N.P and rec park in the states for one year from date of purchase. At $80 it's a bargain when some parks can cost up to $25 to enter.
    I'm not sure if it's the same now, but overseas visitors cannot buy on line, however you can buy it from the entrance to the first park you visit or by locating one of the N.P.S stores.
    The parks are great for camping in if you don't mind basic amenities as it puts you right in the heart of the best there is to offer.

6. Default

Thanks Southwest Dave for the camping.

Is june july a good time for a road trip?

Finally i was thinking of bring a laptop with me so i can check places out on the move - we have 3G internet access card that plug into laptops to give you internet access where every you get Cell phone coverage. Is this availble in the sates? if so how much and can you get pay as you go. It would be very expsenive to bring a uk one over £7 per Mb. do the camp sites have wireless access?

As we are looking at renting a car - any good websites/companies you would advise? I know there will be a one way fee built into the cost. We are looking at doing it in a Cheve Trailerblazer or something like that we can sleep in too. so far the best price for the 4 weeks is £900 - or a ford explorer!!

Is there any general advise anyone can offer for planning anything i am missing out?