1. Default LA to LV to SF via Yosemite - does this route work?

My wife and I are first-timers to California in September arriving into LAX from the UK, and I would hugely appreciate it if anyone could cast their eye over our itinerary for any advice. Its been impossible trying to fit everything in (weve decided to see Grand Canyon next time good reason to come back!) but hopefully weve got a good mix. The plan is not to spend too long in the car, but to try to see as much as we can in 15 nights. Any thoughts welcome.

3 nights LA

2 nights Las Vegas

1 night Bishop any advice on route? I thought wed take the 95 up to Beatty, then through Death Valley and up on the 395 to Bishop?

1 night Lee Vining to see Bodie/Mono Lake or could we miss Lee Vining, and just see Bodie/Mono Lake from Bishop and go into Yosemite from Bishop that evening?

2 nights Yosemite

3 nights on coast Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur

3 nights SF

Thanks, Mark

Default A nice trip

Hello and welcome to the R.T.A. forums.

That is a nice relaxed pace for your trip.

1 night Bishop any advice on route? I thought wed take the 95 up to Beatty, then through Death Valley and up on the 395 to Bishop?
    That route is fine, another option would be to leave on the 160 to pahrump and then cut across to Death valley juncion and onto the 190 across to Lone pine which will take you past Badwater and furnace creek
    Heres some info on Death valley that may help.

1 night Lee Vining to see Bodie/Mono Lake or could we miss Lee Vining, and just see Bodie/Mono Lake from Bishop and go into Yosemite from Bishop that evening?
    That's quite posible, although I have heard you can spen d hours at Bodie and crossing the Tioga pass into Yosemite is a big part of the Yosemite experience, so you won't be wanting to hurry across here, you will be wanting to stop at the many viewpoints to take in the scenery along the way. Another option would be to push on to lee vining the day before, making it a long one though.

The rest of your trip looks fine but on option would be to go to S/F after Yosemite and head down the coast afterwards and continue back to L/A. It would add miles but would save you on any one way charges on your car rental, just a thought.
    :o)

You've planned very well! From Las Vegas maybe follow the route SW Dave gave you on 160 to Pahrump, take State Line road to Death Valley Junction and enter DV via 190. First stop Dante's View on a side road. Then Zabriskie Point, take 178 south to Devils Golfcourse, to Badwater, then return to Furnace Creek via Artist Drive, follow 190 again to Devils Cornfield and Stovepipe Wells dunes and to Lone Pine.(136) Make a photostop for the Eastern Sierra's just outside Lone Pine. LP has a great location at the foot of Mount Whitney and has the Alabama Hills worth a visit. Maybe consider to stay Lone Pine. It's not far to Bishop though. The Best Western Creekside Inn is a nice hotel in Bishop. Mono Lake is worth a visit, so is Bodie. Count on a 3 hours detour to and fro Bodie from Lee Vining.. Have some food at Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining. Hidden gem! If you want to explore June Lake loop, Mono Lake and Bodie I would stay in Lee Vining for the night. Also next morning you will be driving very scenic Tioga Pass east to west with the sun behind you. From Yosemite drive to Cambria first, visit Hearst Castle and drive north on hw1 via Big Sur, Point Lobos SR and Carmel to Monterey and to SF after. Also try to see Monterey Aquarium and Santa Cruz boardwalk so, if you can, take 2days between Cambria and SF. Nice accomodation at Moonstone Beach near Cambria.
    Yeehaw.

4. Default

Hi Southwest Dave and Yeehaw, many thanks to you both for your v detailed advice, that's a real help for us both.

Yeehaw, that's an interesting idea to go to Cambria from Yosemite as yes, then we could see Hearst Castle which I'd thought we'd probably miss out on. Is there a route you'd recommend?

Thanks again, Mark

Default Easy drive

Yes, there's an easy drive from Yosemite Valley via Oakhurst all the way on 41to Paso Robles and to Cambria. Count on 5 hours for this drive. Good luck!
    Yeehaw

Default Some excellent photos to whet your appetite