1. Default Advice on getting to Bodie from Yosemite

Hi there

My wife and I are planning to travel from LA up to SF in September, over two weeks, and we're mainly staying on the central coast/ Big Sur area.

However, we also intend to spend two nights in Yosemite, and I'm just trying to get a handle on distances so we don't spend too much time in the car.

We would both really like to fit in a trip over the Tioga Pass to Mono Lake, but can anyone could tell us whether we can reasonably get to Bodie in the same day, heading back to Yosemite that day, or would we need to spend a night near there ie: Lee Vining. And if we need to spend the night, does anyone have any good ideas for somewhere to stay?

Also, from getting back from Yosemite to SF, are we looking at around 4 hours drive? It's kind of hard to tell from the map!

Many thanks for any advice

South of England.

Default Same day may be pushing it

Hi there.

I think you will feel rushed trying to do it the same day. From the valley floor to Mono lake can soak up a lot of time with the scenery and stops along the way and Tioga pass is a big part of the Yosemite experience. Add to that a good few hours at Bodie like it says here and you will be fighting the clock in my opinion.

Therefor I would consider staying in Lee vining, sorry I can't help with room recommendations but if you want some good food then "Whoa nellies dellie" offers it, situated behind the gas station on the junction of 395 and 120.

Another option would be to get an early start and head to Bodie from San Fran by way of the 108 through Jamestown and then into Yosemite the following day.

From San Fran to Yosemite I would allow 5 hours from the Bay area.

3. Default

Hi, many thanks for your advice, that's a real help. Can I just ask how far (roughly) Bodie is from Mono Lake? It sounds like it's kind of a dusty track too, which I suppose adds to the time factor.

Cheers, Martin

Tucson, AZ

Default Not That Bad

It's about 30 miles from Lee Vining to Bodie, and only the last few miles are unpaved. For a more explicit descriptionof the road and a contact number for current conditions, check the state parks web site.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default It depends on the definition

The only problem with the gravel/dirt part of the road is that is gets lots and lots of summertime use -- RVs, sedans, trucks, SUVs, etc. and as result the washboard can be a bit extreme at times. Otherwise, it is an easy road to drive.