1. Default death valley to the canyon

Hi myself and my family are making trip to the usa from England next April.
    We plan to go from SF to yeosemite then as some of the roads are shut down to Fresno and over to the death Valley. We want to visit the canyon and then come back to vagas to fly home.
    Which route and rim of the canyon would you all recommend we are traveling with children 13 and 11

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a little confused

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your question. Tioga Pass through Yosemite Park, which would then lead onto Death Valley will be closed in April, but there is no problem getting from Yosemite to Fresno.

If you want to go from Yosemite to Death Valley, your best bet will be to go through Fresno, down CA-99 to Bakersfield, over on CA-58, and then back north to Death Valley.

The South Rim will be the only rim of the Grand Canyon accessable in April. From Death Valley, you'll end up going through Vegas, and work down to I-40 across Northern Arizona.

South of England.

Default How much time?

Hello and welcome.

I see you have done some research and found the Tioga pass to be closed, so south towards Fresno and Bakersfield is your best bet.

Depending how much time you have, and how much of it you want to spend between Yosemite and the Grand canyon will make a difference.

An alternative to Michaels suggestion would be to take the 178 from Bakersfield through the Kern canyon to Lake Isabella and continue through Ridgecrest and north through Trona or North on the 395 to before Ridgecrest to Olancha and across. Both of these will bring you to Pannamint springs and the 190 across Death valley passing the sand dunes at Stovepipe wells and furnace creek.
    Here's the N.P.S Death valley site for more info on things to do.

Between the south rim and vegas you could also take a detour [either going or returning to vegas] onto an old original part of route'66. It takes longer but there are some quirky little towns and shops along the way and in my opinion is worth it.

If we can help you with anything else, just ask away! :o)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-15-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added link to the Oatman, Arizona ariticle