1. Default California Dreamin'

Well, my wife and I were out in California this past weekend and got to explore quite a bit of the state. On a side note, finding out about the Extra Milers Club has got me on a hunt. So far, I figure I'm almost halfway there to covering every county in the U.S.

Back to the trip, it started in Ontario, CA at the Enterprise facility. Rented a 2008 Dodge Charger for the trip. Got a hotel room out in Fontana the first night. And then drove the I-210 to I-5 north to Fresno and stopped early again.

Drove up to Visalia and over to Sequoia National Park, and back towards CA-99. Got another hotel. Followed CA-49 northwest (great road, lots of curves as it follows the side of the sierras), to CA-88 and east. Cut up to Lake Tahoe, to Carson City, NV and Reno on US-395. Up to Lassen County, down CA-70 and CA-89 back to I-80 to CA-20 to Marysville, CA where we stopped again. Drove north out of Yuba City on CA-99 to I-5 to Redding. Took a great road (CA-299) west 100+ miles to the 101 in Arcata. Drove up to Redwood National Park.

Spent the rest of the day there and got a room in Arcata on the coast. Drove down the 101 the next morning and did two side trips to enter counties. Drove down across the San Rafael over back to the 101 and across the Golden Gate Bridge. Horribly foggy and getting into twilight. Couldn't see much. Drove down to get on CA-17 to Santa Cruz, and south on CA-1 to Monterrey. Took US-101 south again to Paso Robles. Drove east on CA-46 to I-5, where we got another hotel. Had to attend court in Kern County (what fun....). After winning my traffic citation case, drove back down I-5 to the 405, to Wilshire Blvd, through Hollywood to the La Brea Tarpits. Then east again to just north of Downtown to visit my sister. And finally, over to Ontario to return the rental car.

All-in-all, just over 2000 miles. Great way to turn a court appearance into a 6 day California vacation.

Will have pictures and a better story on my website later once I have time.

And for county-count, I have all but two counties of California now. Only Imperial and San Diego counties (far south) are left.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-13-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein