1. Default Memphis to Portland

We are renting a truck, and moving from Memphis Tn. to Portland Or. in September. I would like to know if would be more miles/longer trip by taking the southern route through Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, rather than taking I-80 across Kansas, Wyoming, etc.? When I put the destination in Mapquest, it only suggested the midwestern route.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default The shortest (and easiest) is I-80

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    When I put the destination in Mapquest, it only suggested the midwestern route.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The shortest and least net elevation gain is 2300 miles (like this shows) If you did the southern route, it would add about 500 miles and have much more up and down, which is generally not the best for a rental truck.

Tucson, AZ

Default Minor Differences

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The route I get from MapQuest is Memphis northwest on 'surface streets' US-63/US-60/MO-13/MO-7/US-71 to Kansas City and then back on the Interstates, I-29/NE-2/I-80/I-84 to Portland for a total of 2255 miles. Microsoft Streets and Trips suggests I-55/I-70 between Memphis and Kansas City for a total distance of 2324 miles. Your alternative, I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but staying south (I-40 to at least Albuquerque) offers several choices. Heading north from Gallup on US-491/US-191/US-6 into the Salt Lake area ups your total to 2400 miles. If you stay south all the way through Bakersfield, CA to take I-5 north to Portland, you're up to nearly 2700. So, all things considered, Id stick to the northern (or 'Midwest') route and use the Interstates up to St Louis and then across to Kansas City in deference to the fact that you'll be driving a truck.

4. Default Memphis to Portland

Ok, thanks a million Mark and AZ. If it were 10 years ago, I wouldn't mind the extra miles. But with the cost of diesel as it is, I'll forgo the Texas BB-Q I was dreaming of for the shorter route. Thanks again,