1. Default Last Minute Trip to Badlands?

Hi -

Our family has unexpectedly found six free days to do a roadtrip and are thinking of packing everyone in the car and heading to the Badlands! Doable? I-90? Places to stop, stay on the way? Any advice would be great. Thinking two days to get there, three to explore & cycle, and one 13 hour mad dash to return. Thoughts? Thanks - Chitowner

Tucson, AZ

Default Please Don't

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is certainly plenty to do on a trip out to the Badlands, including stops at the Circus Museum in Baraboo, WI; the odd attraction of the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD; and a number of smaller but enjoyable rest breaks along I-90. But trying to tear back the over 900 miles from western South Dakota to Chicago in a day is simply not possible in the 13 or so hours that on-line software is going to tell you. I think you and your family would have a much better time if you took it slower and enjoyed the drive both ways and treated it as part of the adventure and vacation rather than a chore to get through. Two days out (or almost there), two days there (including the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Wind Caves and possibly Devils Tower or Deadwood), and two days leisurely back would make a much better family time than topping the whole trip off with a death march.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-11-2008 at 04:00 PM.