Default Vancouver to NM, Grand Canyon, D.Valley

Okay trip coming up in about 2 weeks. This isn't my first road trip and I like to think I've got things pretty nicely planned out in terms of balancing sightseeing and driving, so this might be a vanity 'Look-at-my-awesum-vacationz' post, but any comments or alternate sightseeing ideas are quite welcome.

Day 1 & 2) Vancouver - Durango, CO
    Day 3) see Mesa Verde, possibly Aztec Ruins if there's time, overnight in Farmington, NM
    Day 4) see Bandelier National Monument, overnight in Socorro, NM
    Day 5) see Very Large Array outside Socorro, then see White Sands in the late afternoon, overnight in Las Cruces, NM
    Day 6) drive to Carlsbad Caverns (booked tour), back to Las Cruces
    Day 7) Las Cruces to Phoenix, overnight (some hiking on Camelback Mountain)
    Day 8) see Sonoran Desert, Sunset Crater National Monument, Red Rocks of Sedona late afternoon, overnight in Williams, AZ
    Days 9 & 10) Grand Canyon south rim (will be at the Canyon on the Labour Day longweekend so I'm assuming hotel reservations are a must)
    Day 10) overnight in Fredonia, AZ (?)
    Day 11) see Bryce Canyon, overnight in Mt Carmel (?)
    Day 12) see Zion Park, drive out and stay & overnight in Beatty, NV
    Day 13) see Death Valley (from inside the car, windows up and AC on :P), overnight in Lone Pine, CA
    Days 14 & 15) home via Reno & the I-5

Depending on how things go (mostly depending on how much I'm forking out for hotels) I may put in an extra day in Bryce Canyon, around Las Vegas or possibly swing through Yosemite.

Solo travelling, btw.

Default 2 long days.

Hi there, welcome back to R.T.A.

I would imagine you are already aware that those 2 opening days are going to be very long ones, especially on your own. Stopping short on your second day and then heading onto Durango might be more beneficial and leave you feeling fresher on day three.

Days 9 & 10) Grand Canyon south rim (will be at the Canyon on the Labour Day longweekend so I'm assuming hotel reservations are a must)
    A must, and quite probably to late already. I would get on to it a.s.a.p as even the surrounding towns get busy. [Williams, Flagstaff, and Tusayan being the closest to South entrance]. If you have no luck at these you could try cameron trading post.out of the East entrance.

Day 10) overnight in Fredonia, AZ (?)
    Day 11) see Bryce Canyon, overnight in Mt Carmel (?)
    Day 12) see Zion Park, drive out and stay & overnight in Beatty, NV
    Personally speaking I would either go direct to Bryce for the night[10]
    [popular accommodation] and then leave to Zion [lunchtime] for the night in Springdale[11] then P.M. to Beatty [12], or 2] Fredonia? [10] Bryce to Zion [arrive late 11 and stay 12] and take the long drive from Zion direct to Lone Pine[13] across Death valley. You can only get into the canyon at Zion by way of the free shuttle bus and to do so you need a full day to really enjoy it, and it's well worth it i.m.o.

As with all trips, if you can squueze an extra day [or 2 ;-)] in it will make a big difference, and Ifor one would find it tough being that close to Yosemite without a little detour.

I would imagine all the accomodations near these parks will need checking/booking A.S.A.P.

You're right that the first two days are pushing it, distance-wise. But like you said I can always cut one or both days short, and drive a few extra hours on the 3rd day to get to Mesa Verde.

I appreciate the heads-up for reservations for the Bryce/Zion area, will get on that right away. I'd hoped to get away without reservations but better safe than sorry.

And yes, Yosemite is tempting, but I can always do that on another trip. I think I'd rather do an extra day in Bryce or Zion than do a hurried day through Yosemite.

Default Wise choice

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Jeff View Post
    And yes, Yosemite is tempting, but I can always do that on another trip. I think I'd rather do an extra day in Bryce or Zion than do a hurried day through Yosemite.
    Quite right too! Zion and Bryce are both fantastic parks that offer awesome scenery. The main difference is Bryce is easier to see and therefor requires less time. Although there are some nice hikes in Bryce most of it's splendour comes from the viewpoints which in some cases are just a few steps from your car. If you are driving to the very end of the canyon [a well paved road] then it is easier to go to the furthest viewpoint first and coming back all the pull outs will be on your side of the road.
    Zion has many walks through the canyon and takes more time to see properly so, given a choice I would spend extra time here.

Red rock canyon between the two parks is worth a short stop just to see the spires of rock by the roadside, have a great trip!