Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vancouver to Las Vegas in February

In mid / late February we'd like to head south on I-5 and then cut across to Las Vegas but are concerned about encountering snow on one of the passes. How far south should we go before heading east and can we be certain not to hit any snow ? Any suggestions as to the best route would be much appreciated.

Default Decision Time

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The most direct route from Vancouver to Las Vegas is to turn east at Seattle(!) and take I-90/I-82/I-84 to just north of Salt lake City and then turn south on I-15 into Las Vegas. Going south on I-5 to Bakersfield and then turning east on CA-58 before using I-15 north into Las Vegas is about 15% farther, but you should probably leave three days for either route. Which one is better will depend on the weather during the particular three days you are driving, So be ready for either, if possible, and make up your mind in the last few days before your departure, depending on the weather forecasts.

AZBuck

Default only way

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The only way you'll be able to guarentee that you won't have snow is by taking an airplane. It is quite possible to see snow on any route between Vancouver and Vegas.

There are 3 main routes to consider. I-5 down to near Bakersfield, CA, and then CA-58 and I-15 back to Vegas. The biggest threat for snow would be the passes near the California/Oregon Border.

The other options would take I-82/84 from Washington down through Boise. From there you can either continue to I-15 through Salt Lake City or US-93 through eastern Nevada.

Really the best bet for a winter trip like this is to just look at the forecast in the days before you leave and pick your route based on which is predicted to have the best weather.

Thanks for your replies. Really helpful information. I'm thinking maybe moving the trip to the last week in February and the first part of March.

Default South from San Francisco : which route ??

In late February we will be driving from Vancouver, BC to Las Vegas. We are trying to do the trip in 3 + days. South of San Francisco to Bakersfield we could take route 5 or 99. Is there any difference in the scenery and is one a lot quicker than the other ?

BTW what is the speed limit on these highways and is it closely monitored ?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-18-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Merged - Please do not create multiple threads about the same trip

Default east or west

I-5 goes down the west side of the San Joaquin Valley, while CA-99 goes through the East side. The east side has more cities, like Modesto, Fresno, and Bakersfield and would probably be a little bit slower.

The speed limits will range between 65 and 75 mph. Any time you're going more than 5-10 over the limit, you start being pretty fair game for a ticket.

Default Help ! ! Las Vegas - Sedona - Grand Canyon - St. George

In early March we are planning a trip to Las Vegas. From Vegas we'll drive to Sedona, the south end of Grand Canyon and then on to St. George. This makes a nice cirle route so we don't have to backtrack at all. Because it's only early March we have some concerns about the weather.

Questions :

- is the access to the south end of the Grand Canyon open early in March ?

- will there be any problem with snow on the routes 64 / 89 / 9 from Grand Canyon to St. George ?

Thanks for your help

Default a part

Is this still a part of your Original Trip to Vegas?

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is open all year, and March is an excellent time to go. The weather is getting warmer, although you'll still see some ice/snow in shady areas, but its before the big summer crowds arrive.

I'm not 100% certain about the conditions on the route to St. George, but I would say that snow is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

Default A lovely loop.

Hi,

I presume you are including a visit to Zion N.P. as part of the journey to St George, it's a wonderful place, as is Bryce canyon if you have the time.

Whereas you cannot predict the weather this far in advance, I agree with Michael, There will be risk of snow and ice on this route but they are all year round routes and destinations so I would edge by bets that you will be O.K.
    Snow acts as a visible "alarm bell" to take it easy, but also be aware of ice, especially at higher elevations and in the early morning late afternoon.

Have a safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Is this still a part of your Original Trip to Vegas?
    Yep it is, except because of the feedback on this forum about snow and winter conditions we've moved it back a month. We didn't want to worry about encountering snow so I think early March may be better.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 12-14-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Format; Merged Threads Again