Thread: Seattle to L.A.

1. Default Seattle to L.A.

Given that I've lived in both places for over ten years each, and have made the drive countless times, I should have an idea of what to do and see, but I don't! :(

I am taking my 18 year-old daughter and 15 year-old niece for a 7-day trip during the last week of August (24th - 31st). None of us has ever seen anything of real interest and I want to do more than just "get to L.A., see friends, enjoy the sun and get back to Seattle." I want the whole trip to be the experience.

I'm new to the site, still exploring, and am absolutely open to whatever suggestions anybody has.

Thanks a million!

Tucson, AZ

Default Seven Days in Total?

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If all you do is get on I-5 and drive to L.A. and turn around and drive back, you will have already used up 4 of your 7 days. If you want to actually spend a couple of days in L.A. then you have only a day for sight seeing which you'll have to spread out over your 4+ days of driving. So... I think you should be looking at places such as state parks and wildlife refuges near the Interstate. Enjoy the pace you can maintain while traveling comfortably rather than trying to pack too much in. Many years from now, you and your children will remember a better trip.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default A couple quick stops off of I-5 you might enjoy

I totally agree that you need to add more days if you really want to play there and back. Then you could meander south via the dramatic coast and circle back home through lovely Eastern OR and WA.

Just off of I-5 are:

Ashland, OR, is a lovely little town. During the spring through fall, they hold an amazing Shakespeare Festival. One of the theaters is a replica of Shakespeare's old Globe Theatre. They also do other plays including modern and experimental. The town itself is quite charming so even just a drive through, a walk around to stretch your legs and/or a stop for a meal would be fun here.

Eugene is worth a stop because it's such a quirky, college town. Probably one of the few places where you still see a lot of hippies...the Jerry Garcia-look and old VW busses are popular there.

Somewhere near Salem, maybe a bit closer to Portland, is the Oregon Gardens. Lovely. A worth stop. My favorite part is the Usonian style home by Frank Lloyd Wright. Incredible!

The Oregon Vortex/Mystery House is also a hoot.