1. Default decisions decisions

First off....great site.

Second off I am in need of some POV on a trip that I am taking...I am moving from Chicago to San Fran at the end of August and a friend is coming with me to have fun...!

Disclaimer: SORRY, THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG FEEL FREE TO JUST READ PARTS AND GIVE YOUR OPINIONS...

Tentative plan is leaving monday 8/25, arrive SF that friday or saturday. I realize this does not leave much time to do stuff, but alas this is what I gots and I want to make the most of it.

Looking at the map at first it makes sense to do 80 and stop in Omaha, Denver, SLC, then maybe reno...lame...the only thing I would care about on that list is denver, as it is the so called "Napa of Beer" as well as the Rockies, so current plan is drive as long as possiible the first day to get to Denver quick. My friend is up for anything, but when I threw out a detour to yellowstone he didn't seem to keen on the nature/hiking aspect. I personally like that stuff...we don't have time for a lot of it, but would like to see as much beautiful scenery (if only by driving) as possible...I am also a huge foodie and enjoy trying local delicacies.

questions:

1) Iowa sucks, I have heard NE does as well, so what are opinions on taking 90 through, and stopping at Mt Rushmore and then the Badlands and then heading down to Denver.

2) I was also thinking of heading to KC instead of Omaha as I love BBQ...not sure that is smart; however, as I would dread driving through KS.

3) As someone else had pointed out the DNC is in Denver about that time...snap...thoughts on how much that will suck?

D) Rafting? I'm sure there are links (couldn't find on the site,) but I would like to go rafting at some point if possible...at the Rockies? or better place for this?

5) Salt Lake...is this actually worth budgeting any time seeing? I like Mormons and all, but I wonder how cool this city is.

6) Reno...is it cool? My friend and I like to gamble...so if we have time maybe we would spend the night there before heading to my new home...Also, what about Carson City and Tahoe...is that a viable option (although this will be close to me so I would be hesitant.)

7) Any other possible routes or things I might be missing.

8) I will have a packed car with my wordly possessions (read: mostly clothes, but also a tv and other crap,)...do you think there will be any probs with this while traveling?

9) I was thinking the way I would do the hotels would be for whenever we know where we are stopping I would call a family member at home and have them priceline something in the area...is this a viable option?

I realize I have thrown a lot of stuff out there, and I will not have time for the majority, but I want to maximize my time...My friend is in the boat of playing it by ear, which is great, but I like to have some sort of plan, so if we detour, cool, but if not we have options

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to this forum!!

Default Attitiude

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There is no doubt in my mind that the first thing to worry about in terms of your trip is your own attitude. Much of your post and questions are based on broad generalizations of places. Instead of worrying about how much this place or that place would "suck" or be "lame" or how you would dread going through this state or that state, embrace what you'll be traveling through.

The single best thing you could do for your trip is to remember that there are no boring places. If you set out only focusing on the negative preconceived ideas you already have, then that is all you will find on the road - and it probably won't make for a very fun trip.

Quote Originally Posted by thechicagomets View Post
    I am moving from Chicago to San Fran at the end of August and a friend is coming with me to have fun...!
    He does realize you're not driving him home, right? ;)

1) Iowa sucks, I have heard NE does as well, so what are opinions on taking 90 through, and stopping at Mt Rushmore and then the Badlands and then heading down to Denver.
    Minor geographic detail; you'll hit the Badlands first, then Mt. Rushmore. Also I believe this adds mileage and sightseeing to an already hurried trip. Badlands is lovely, and Mt Rushmore is a nice photo op but neither is worth going out of your way on a tight schedule.

8) I will have a packed car with my wordly possessions (read: mostly clothes, but also a tv and other crap,)...do you think there will be any probs with this while traveling?
    Personally I'd be carting all that into the hotel with me every night. And never going too far out of sight of the car. If you're packing things into the backseat, put a blanket or tarp over it at stops. Otherwise you might as well hang a sign that says "Smash My Window, Please!"

9) I was thinking the way I would do the hotels would be for whenever we know where we are stopping I would call a family member at home and have them priceline something in the area...is this a viable option?
    Take as many travel books as you can. I take AAA books with me everywhere, I believe they're free to members. So ask around and find someone who'll pick them up for you. Sometimes I know where I'm stopping about 30 minutes before I get there, at 9pm, on a Friday night, two timezones away. You won't know that someone will be there to help you.

Default Stopping for the night

If you don't have anything such as the TV displayed prominently, chances are you'd be okay. When you stop for the night, certainly you could pack everything into and out of the hotel room, but that can quickly turn burdensome. One option would be to stop at places where you can park directly outside your room. Granted, these generally aren't top of the line establishments, but should there be a problem, you'll be able to respond quicker.

That assumes that somebody is going to be home to take on this task, and that you are stopping for the night before they've gone to bed.

1) Iowa sucks, I have heard NE does as well
    I don't buy the first one, and I don't believe the second, either, having been to both. I remember an especially interesting experience eating breakfast in Iowa, and a good time camping in and driving through Nebraska. The fun part about those states is that you don't necessarily have to stick to the Interstate to get through them. You can take state and/or US routes to mix up the trip and get a better overview than you would from the Interstate.

Default It really doesn't all suck

First off....great site.

Second off I am in need of some POV on a trip that I am taking...I am moving from Chicago to San Fran at the end of August and a friend is coming with me to have fun...!

Tentative plan is leaving monday 8/25, arrive SF that friday or saturday. I realize this does not leave much time to do stuff, but alas this is what I gots and I want to make the most of it.
    It's not terrible, really. Although most people here wouldn't recommend it, you could do this in three days if you really needed to.

Looking at the map at first it makes sense to do 80 and stop in Omaha, Denver, SLC, then maybe reno...lame...the only thing I would care about on that list is denver, as it is the so called "Napa of Beer" as well as the Rockies, so current plan is drive as long as possiible the first day to get to Denver quick. My friend is up for anything, but when I threw out a detour to yellowstone he didn't seem to keen on the nature/hiking aspect. I personally like that stuff...we don't have time for a lot of it, but would like to see as much beautiful scenery (if only by driving) as possible...I am also a huge foodie and enjoy trying local delicacies.
    Denver is out of your way if you are contemplating shooting straight west on I-80. If you want to detour through Colorado on I-70, cut-off at Green River on US-6 towards Provo, and then re-catch I-80 at SLC, well, you could do a lot worse.

I am actually quite fond of Iowa, especially Eastern Iowa.

2) I was also thinking of heading to KC instead of Omaha as I love BBQ...not sure that is smart; however, as I would dread driving through KS.
    If I had to choose between driving across KS on I-70 and NE on I-80, I would take KS every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's actually quite pretty.

3) As someone else had pointed out the DNC is in Denver about that time...snap...thoughts on how much that will suck?
    When I went through Denver in '93, moving from Sacramento to St. Louis, the Pope was in town. It was a nightmare trying to get through. I would suggest taking the extra traffic and congestion into consideration.

D) Rafting? I'm sure there are links (couldn't find on the site,) but I would like to go rafting at some point if possible...at the Rockies? or better place for this?
    I know there is a lot of rafting near Moab on the Colorado. You might want to look there.

5) Salt Lake...is this actually worth budgeting any time seeing? I like Mormons and all, but I wonder how cool this city is.
    SLC is getting more cosmopolitan all the time, so it depends on what you like. Personally, if I had the choice of poking around near Moab and in SE Utah or exploring SLC, I would choose SE Utah, but that is me.

6) Reno...is it cool? My friend and I like to gamble...so if we have time maybe we would spend the night there before heading to my new home...Also, what about Carson City and Tahoe...is that a viable option (although this will be close to me so I would be hesitant.)
    One thing you might want to consider is that these are easy trips (~4 hours) from SF after you move.

7) Any other possible routes or things I might be missing.
    Oh, lots and lots. The problem is that you seem to have the preconception that lots of things suck. Based on what you have written, I'd suggest blitzing the Plains (since you don't really seem interested in them) and spending your "extra time" in Colorado and Utah. There's a lot to do there - so just pick some destinations that sound appealing and go with them. Also, since it is pretty easy to make it from SF to Tahoe and Reno after you have moved, why not go through Vegas instead?

You could do 4 nights (KC (or eastern KS), Denver, Moab (or Green River if you don't have much money), Las Vegas) and have time to dawdle a bit in CO and UT and an evening in Las Vegas.

But really, you will need to decide what sounds appealing to you.

Probably not (I have never had any and have traveled like that before), but better safe than sorry I guess.

--Jon
    Last edited by jcorb2d; 08-07-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Cleaning up Typos