Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Charity Road Trip

Iím a university student in England and I intend on planning a sponsored road trip around the USA for charity, after I graduate.

The idea is for maybe four people, including myself, to buy an RV in Alabama (where my mum lives) and then to visit every state in America (excluding Alaska and Hawaii). Then, once we had finished, we would sell the RV. Subsequently, any sponsors would be donated to a charity that has yet to be decided.

However, I wanted to make it slightly more interesting and I have been trying to find the shortest route through every mainland state in which you only go through each state once. For example, if you were to drive into California and then into Nevada, you would not be allowed to drive back into California because that state has already been visited.

So far the only thing I am completely sure about is that it would have to either start or end in Maine because (I think) Maine is the only state that borders with just one other state (New Hampshire).

I was wondering if the route I am thinking of is actually possible and, if so, if anybody knows the shortest possible route to take without visiting each state more than once.

Thanks.

Default It's been done several times --

Quote Originally Posted by the.fool View Post
    I was wondering if the route I am thinking of is actually possible and, if so, if anybody knows the shortest possible route to take without visiting each state more than once
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- I can think of at least two charity events where this was done in the last decade. In August, 2003, Gary and Peter Flanagan drove a 1995 Chevy conversion van 8,563 miles from Hyder, Alaska, to Pawtucket, Rhode Island, in a record 8 days and 27 minutes. Along the way, they managed to visit all 50 U.S. states (even Hawaii, with a little help from a jet) to raise funds for the victims of the 2003 fire at The Station nightclub in Rhode Island.

Here is one such route: You need to click on the map "Our Journey" there is not direct URL to the map.

And on this forum -- there are at least three members getting ready to break that record.

Mark

Default the problems

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Quite frankly, the idea of getting someone to sponsor a trip comes up often, but the reality of it happening is quite low. The kind of trip you are proposing would be very expensive, and its not easy to find enough people to sponsor you to cover your own expenses, much less have money left over to donate to anything. Think of it this way, if someone wants to help a charity, how are you going to convince them that subsidizing your vacation would be a better use of resources than them simply cutting a check to the organization? Its not an impossible task, but you're going to need a solid plan to make the finances of this trip a reality.

I suppose your route idea is possible, although I don't know what the fastest route for such a trip would be. We've had a few people that have attempted 48 state speed runs, and perhaps some of their routes would be helpful to you.

4. Default

I don't expect them to pay for it. Myself and my companions will be paying for the trip but would ask friends and family members to sponsor us and that is the money to be donated... admittedly its questionable how much we would raise but something is better than nothing and its a chance of a lifetime.

Also, the idea isn't to speed run it. I just wondered what the shortest route would be to save on fuel expenses. We plan on visiting at least one point of interest in each state, so we are not attempting to break any sort of record.

Default Yep! That's the one I was looking for!

That link that Midwest Michael posted has some of the best routes I know of for starting the process of planning your own trip.

Have fun with the planning!

Mark

Default Fastest = Shortest

Also, the idea isn't to speed run it. I just wondered what the shortest route would be to save on fuel expenses. We plan on visiting at least one point of interest in each state, so we are not attempting to break any sort of record.
    Well, even if you aren't looking at your trip as a speed run, the people who have done it with an eye towards speed would likely have been looking at something that would be very close to the shortest route.

I'd also keep in mind that while keeping your distance short will save on gas, the amount of time you are on the road is usually just as big, if not a bigger factor in your costs than just your distance.

Out of curiousity, how much time and money are you thinking of spending for this trip?

7. Default

I'm planning out the route and getting an idea of distance and checkpoints before I put a price on it.

Theoretically it will be done anywhere within a 90 day temporary visa.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-03-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: format for clarity

Default Wildly guestimated

But realistically you are going to need a campaign chest of USD $23,000 to do this trip.

Mark

9. Default

I've not done a great amount of research into this, only read a couple of post on these forums for some base information and I've made a couple of estimations on how much it would cost overall and per person (4 people).

Time allowance - 8 weeks

Cost of RV - A used RV. Maximum budget of $20,000 ($5,000 each) but preferably closer to $10,000 ($2,500 each)

Gas - $4,000 ($1,000 each)

Food - Approximately $120 per day (approximately $30 each per day) and approximately $6,800 (approximately $1,700 each)

Other (ie. souvenirs, etc.) - $4,000 ($1,000 each)

Total - Approximately $30,000 (approximately $7,500 each)

The total is an approximation assuming the RV costs approximately $15,000.

Is there anything anyone thinks I have missed out or completely under/over estimated on?

Default Some things are OK

Because of the high fuel costs you can probably acquire a decent RV for close to that $15,000 and your fuel cost looks pretty good (figuring 12.5 mpg), but I don't see any line items for camping/lodging and vehicle repairs. You won't be able to boondock the entire time and so you probably should add an allowance of $1250 for campground fees and I would put aside $4000 for vehicle repairs & vehicle insurance and RV supplies and at least $1500 reserve for medical issues. Eight weeks on the road (that's a lot of driving) I think you need to have a working budget of $35,000.

Mark