1. Default Road Trip Planner please

OK, I'm lazy as ... I thought I can do this myself, plan, rent and go, as easy as pie... but boy oh boy oh boy, reading all threads, renting an RV, where to park RV, etc. etc. It's giving me a headache! I've been reading all threads since 9:00 AM, it's now 2:00 PM (5 hours of agonizing, overwhelming information). I now believe, too much information is hurtful to your health!

Is there someone out there who loves to plan (like a wedding planner) and just provide me with what route, freeway to take? Where to stop and park for the night, where to do on day 2, day 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.????

You can see that I am a novice to this world of road tripping, never been one and would like to experience it, but this is too much planning and headache.

Isn't there a beginner's kit-route where the planning is already done and all I have to do is drive and stop, drive and stop?

sorry, I'm frustrated and I'm running out of time, I'd like to do this trip on Aug. 18 thru Aug. 29 of this year :)!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Thousands of planners can do it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by geekeve View Post
    Is there someone out there who loves to plan (like a wedding planner) and just provide me with what route, freeway to take? Where to stop and park for the night, where to do on day 2, day 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.????
    Absolutely, they exist -- they are called travel agents -- and many of them perform heroic feats for folks who don't want to or can't do the the planning for themselves. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If you are considering a RV vacation in the west -- the very best professional service we have EVER found is Tracks and Trails!

Other fee-based services that we recommend can be viewed here.

In addition, there are FREE planning services - here are some we have reviewed.
    Isn't there a beginner's kit-route where the planning is already done and all I have to do is drive and stop, drive and stop?
    Road trips are real-world -- and they require blood, sweat and tears (well, maybe not the blood and tears) but they require work. Or you can hire some one.

The members of this forum provide advice (for free) but we don't plan individual trips.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Output = input

Mark has provided a number of great links and places where you can turn to if all you really want is for someone to do the work for you.

Personally, I don't think I could ever have as much fun on a trip that someone else planned for me. How could someone else know more about what I like and want to do than me? For that reason, I think the more work you put into a trip, the more you'll get out of it.

But if planning is causing as much stress as you are talking about, then I suppose paying some one to do the work for you could be worth every penny.

4. Default great help

Thanks Mark!, this is a great help (AAA site), it tells me what route and exit to take, excellent! (my own review) Yahoo's site has too many ads and too many links, too confusing, don't know what to click next.

5. Default

Thanks Midwest Michael,
    But being a first time road novice, I'd rather take it lightly and experience it first then when I get the hang of it, I'll surely plan my own trips. Planning your trip is easier to an experienced road warrior. I'd rather take it slowly but surely : )
    Love all of you moderators! don't know what I'll do without all of you!

Tucson, AZ

Default Best $80 I Spend Each Year

That's my AAA membership. Most people think of them in terms of towing service, as insurance against a breakdown. But they also offer trip planning services that sound very much like what you're looking for. Now as Michael noted, the best trip planning is that which you do for yourself, and I tend to over plan my trips with far more places to visit and alternative ways to get there than I'll ever be able to fit in. That leaves me free to make decisions on the fly while traveling and still know what's available to me. Even so, I always go in and sit down with a AAA travel consultant before any long RoadTrip. They can customize maps (TripTiks) with exactly the route I've decided on. Or in your case, with a route they recommend for you. The have free city, area, state and regional maps, on which they'll again mark out your route. And they offer free books, Tour Guides I think they're called, that list the attractions, hotels and restaurants in each of the states. Membership, which gets you all of these service included, is $53/yr for a basic single plan.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-02-2008 at 08:22 PM.

South of England.

Default Right here!

Hi there.

I think if you take a step back from "info overload" and start asking yourself a couple of questions, such as, Where shall i start my journey? What are my main interests? What distances can I cover?. Start answering some of these questions and give us as much info as possible and we can help you piece it all together right here.

This is how we planned our first ever R.V. trip and it turned out like this. thanks to help from these forums.

So help us to help you ;-)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 08-03-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed Links

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Planning can be part of the fun, too

I realize it may not be fun if you're on a tight timeline. However, if you start way ahead of your departure time and, thus, have the time to do it, planning your trip is almost as much fun as the trip itself. Yeah, sometimes information overload can make it hard to make choices. We all tend to want to see it all. I have been known to flip coins in such situations. Enjoy the planning. Really, it's possible!