1. Default First Roadtrip, taking RV, going solo, MN to Maine?...Suggestions?

It's my first time doing this since I was little. This time, no mom or dad. Just me and the dogs. I have 3 - 4 weeks in August and September to travel. Starting out on the Minnesota/Wisconsin border and thought about heading east.

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Ideas on route, must-sees and do's, or just suggestions for a new RVer? (It's a small motorhome.)

Default sounds like fun

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Is this an RV that you already own and do you have some experience driving it?

Otherwise, It sounds like you could be in for a really nice trip. 3-4 weeks will give you lots of time to explore. Personally, I'd take a northern route, via Sault Ste Marie and Canada one direction, and then come back via the US the other direction. However, if you do this, you will want to make sure you investigate what you need to cross the border with your dogs, and make sure you have all of your paperwork in order.

3. Default

Thanks for the welcome. It is not my RV, I'm actually renting a Winnebago View from a private party. I've never driven one but I think I'm cool enough to figure it out. ;) (Am I nuts?)

I've thought a little bit about your northern route suggestion. For my first time, I think I'll stick to the good ol' US of A. (The dog issue and firearm...a friend of mine says he thinks I'd be ok carrying a rifle but they won't let me in with a handgun.)

Just decided to take the full 4 weeks, starting a new job soon and figured might as well seize this opportunity now.

So....since I nixed your first suggestion what would your second choice be??

Default legal issues

My second suggestion would be to nix the idea of carrying a handgun. First of all, carrying a gun is likely to get you into far more trouble than it will protect you from. But more importantly, with the wide variety of gun laws in each state, its very difficult to bring a handgun with you on a trip like this without breaking a variety of laws.

Since this is a somewhat controversial topic, I will also say that I am a hunter, I've been around guns my whole life, and I'm not necessarily opposed to carrying a gun for protection in certain circumstances, I just can't see where going on a roadtrip would ever be one of those situations. A roadtrip, even as a solo female, can be a perfectly safe experience. I'd suggest reading this thread for some more information.

Renting an RV from a private party could also have some potential issues that you may not have considered. Most notably the insurance. You'll need to check with your insurance agent to make sure you are properly covered, as its pretty unlikely that the owner's personal policy would provide coverage if you are using it like a rental.

Default I agree with Michael's points

I have done solo traveling while camping in a tent. I have never taken a gun with me. I've been fine.

The people you are renting the RV from would have to have some kind of commercial coverage, not a private policy, in order for you to be covered. So, yeah, check on that.

Now, for places to go....since you mentioned Maine as a place of interest, why not go there? This discussion about Maine should be full of helpful tips. While some of it is about the fall colors and where to see them, keep reading as there is a lot of other good stuff there.

If you care to share more details about what specifically you're looking for, we can give you better personal recommendations. History? Outdoors? Cultural? You name it. Give us a hint. :)

6. Default MN to Maine, More Info On What I'm Looking For

Regarding the handgun comments, all good points for sure. I also appreciate the suggestions about insurance, which I have covered.

Judy - I printed out most of the info from the link you provided, great info. Thanks!

Here, a few specific questions, if anyone can help out with.

First, traveling from MInnesota to Maine, if I was going to hit one or two museums, what would be your first choice?

Same question for art galleries. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time indoors as I'll have my dog. she'll do fine in the motor home, but I'm looking forward to spending time outdoors with her.

With that in mind, scenic areas that you think are an absolute must...trails, parks?

anything you want to throw out there would be great, even if you have a recommendation for a great RV park along the way. I finally feel like I have started planning, so this has been really helpful to get me a little more focused.

I wouldn't mind shopping a couple of those days. I love clothes but we recently bought a new home so I'd love to find some unique home furnishings, not really into antiques or anything ultra contemporary either, more traditional.

A friend of mine wants me to meet her in New York for dinner and a show which I am thinking about and know I would enjoy but I also like the idea of this trip being a little unplanned and unscheduled is probably a better word. I realize I need to plan but I'm not crazy about having to be somewhere at a certain time. Make sense?

This all probably seems like a lot to ask of you. Keep in mind, I am just getting started with the planning, so any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. I should probably spend a day at the bookstore pouring over travel books to get more direction. In the meantime, thanks again for the thoughts!

Default There are Others...

...but some of the better known art museums along the way (assuming you take the southern route through the US) are The Art Institute of Chicago, The Snite Museum of Art at Notre Dame, and The Cleveland Museum of Art.

Major places to run be outdoors with the dog include Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and Delaware Water Gap NRA .

AZBuck

Default Spontaneity is always good

So many of us understand your desire for flexibility. Maybe you could contact your friend from the road and set up a time that works for your trip instead of you having to plan to be there at a certain time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This all probably seems like a lot to ask of you. Keep in mind, I am just getting started with the planning, so any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. I should probably spend a day at the bookstore pouring over travel books to get more direction. In the meantime, thanks again for the thoughts!
    There is a lot of good information here. Do a search on these forums for specific places of interest. Also visit the "Route Planning" section where there are numerous articles and links to recommended websites that might be helpful.

I, too, will get a cup of coffee and spend hours at someplace like Barnes & Noble browsing through the guide books for ideas. You could also contact the tourism offices to get their free materials. Just google "___name of state or city____ tourism" and it should lead you to their websites where they will usually have good info online as well as free stuff you can request. If you're a AAA member, they also have good guidebooks that are free with their membership.

Keep asking questions while you're planning so we can help you plan a fantastic trip for your and your dog!