Thread: DC to San Diego

Default DC to San Diego

I recently took the trip from DC to San Diego. I'm a comic book editor and I was heading out to SD because my most recent book was nominated for a pretty prestigious award. I decided to make a trek out of it and posted my dispatches on DCist, a local website. My five pieces from the trip can be read here and pictures from my excursion can be seen here. Here is Jason's trip planning threads.

It was a great time. I had overnights in Knoxville, Memphis area (two nights), Norman, Santa Fe, Albuquerque-area, Flagstaff, Yuma, and then four nights in San Diego. I made additional stops in Roanoke, Bristol, Nashville, Little Rock, Amarillo, and the Grand Canyon.

I'd have to say my favorite sites were the Canyon, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, Cadillac Ranch, Stax Museum, the Parthenon (especially since I saw the real one in Rome last year), and the meteor crater. I was also fond of a Popeye statue I found in Alma, Arkansas.

When I first started planning out this trip some of the folks on this site helped me out with my route so I'm grateful for that. Hope you dig the dispatches and pictures, and I'm including some road trip-inspired drawing some fellow comic creators made for me...

My friend from DC, Scott White, upon hearing of my plans:

Nashville artist Dean Trippe after I visited him:

Memphis artist Chris Haley after he kicked my butt in karaoke (he swears the ghost of Freddie Mercury helped him):

Santa Fe artist Monica Meehan after watching me sweat while choking down a plate of Carne Adovada:
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-29-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

Default You must have attended ComicCon?

Some of our clients were attending that event. Thanks for the drawings (above) and for your field report.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Some of our clients were attending that event. Thanks for the drawings (above) and for your field report.

Mark
    Yeah, I was at Comic-Con, although by the time I got to SD I was so tired I skipped most of the con. My girl met me out there and we hung out in SD all day and then hit the parties at night. We spent some time on the con floor but nothing compared to previous years. I even snuck out of the Eisners after my book lost - the beer was too expensive and I had more fun elsewhere.

Default Sorry your book lost

But thanks for the great report and the fantastic artwork by your comic buddies. Just great!

Sounds like you had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    But thanks for the great report and the fantastic artwork by your comic buddies. Just great!

Sounds like you had a great time.
    It's ok that I lost. The folks that I lost to have been making great comics for the past 10 years.

Glad you liked the reports and pics, though. The road trip was one of the best experiences of my life.

Default So now you have to take another one!

The road trip was one of the best experiences of my life.
    It's not unusual for folks to take one roadtrip and get the bug. I think that describes most of us here. :)

I hope you'll hang around and share insights with other roadtrippers seeking advice, and for help planning your next roadtrip. Where you gonna go? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    It's not unusual for folks to take one roadtrip and get the bug. I think that describes most of us here. :)

I hope you'll hang around and share insights with other roadtrippers seeking advice, and for help planning your next roadtrip. Where you gonna go? LOL
    I think I want to drive to Milwaukee next summer - catch baseball games in several cities on the way. And I'll certainly stick around and offer some advice when I can give it. Speaking of - books on CD from the library made the trip go much, much smoother.

Default Yeah, books can be good

I tend to like talk radio and music myself. And sometimes I just enjoy the silence. Whatever works.

Well, when you head to Milwaukie, we'll be here. I'm looking forward to reading posts you make helping others. See you on the boards!