1. Default Daytona Beach to New York in 5 days + camping

I'm going to be taking a trip with a good friend of mine up to new york. We're planning on camping along the way, and i'm really looking to camp in the mountains but not far off the path to NY, does anyone know any good routes that would be good for this purpose? Thanks and all is appreciated!

Default Some Routes Are More Equal Than Others

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Often, being willing to add 5 or 10% to the shortest possible route results in something far more personally satisfying. The shortest route from Daytona Beach to New York is just straight up I-95 and is 1035 miles long. but if you're willing to drive 1125 miles, less than 10% father, you can get into some mountainous terrain on your way north. In South Carolina, take I-26 to Columbia and I-77 north to I-81 in southeastern Virginia. I-81 then runs parallel to the Appalachian Mountains through Virginia (where it comes close to both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park), Maryland (Catoctin Mountain National Park) and Pennsylvania. Just past Harrisburg, hop on I-78 into New York.

AZBuck

Default Should be a fun trip!

Welcome to the Roadtrip America forums.

Are you going to New York City or someplace else in New York state?

I'm not familiar with this route so, hopefully, someone will pop in who can answer this question better. In the meantime, I found you some links to previous discussions that might have good tips for you.
    Blueridge Hwy 1
    Blueridge Hwy 2
    Mass to Tampa

We generally recommend 2 days to make this drive so the extra 3 days should give you time to explore the mountain areas a bit. Hope this helps a bit. Keep asking questions while you're planning.

Default Great call

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Often, being willing to add 5 or 10% to the shortest possible route results in something far more personally satisfying. The shortest route from Daytona Beach to New York is just straight up I-95 and is 1035 miles long. but if you're willing to drive 1125 miles, less than 10% father, you can get into some mountainous terrain on your way north. In South Carolina, take I-26 to Columbia and I-77 north to I-81 in southeastern Virginia. I-81 then runs parallel to the Appalachian Mountains through Virginia (where it comes close to both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park), Maryland (Catoctin Mountain National Park) and Pennsylvania. Just past Harrisburg, hop on I-78 into New York.

AZBuck
    Great call there, Buck. I would not have guessed the noted route is but 90 miles farther.

Starting around Statesville, NC, the I-77 traveler is well within the foothills of the Blue Ridge. From where I-77, the NC-VA state line, and the Blue Ridge Parkway intersect near Fancy Gap, VA, I-81 is seldom farther than 15-20 miles west of the Parkway, allowing access to the camping facilities along the Parkway and the private campgrounds near to it, any of which should be 5-15 degrees cooler than those along I-81 and especially along I-95 far to the east and +3,000' lower in elevation.

The driver earns a considerable dividend in terms of relative ease of travel, too, avoiding traffic congestion in Richmond, VA and the entire DC to NYC sections of I-95 and the Jersey Turnpike, collectively referred to by the trucker community as the Ho Chi Minh Trail. If the NY destination is not NYC or immediate environs, staying on I-81 through Wilkes-Barre and Scranton brings you to I-84 east, tying to the NY State Thruway (aka I-87) at Newburgh, some 65 miles north of the city, thereby avoiding all of the NJ-NYC congestion, and allowing passage through the Poconos, a scenic, rural portion of central PA. In fact, taking this route all the way to the north side of NYC keeps the driver in mountains or foothills all the way from Statesville, NC to Newburgh, NY, which is in the Catskills.

Foy